First Visit To Vermont...Staying in Middlebury...But

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Ballymote

First Visit To Vermont...Staying in Middlebury...But

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:19 pm

. Departing this Thursday the 20th for three days. Need your help....driving up from NJ, thinking about going into Vermont at Bennington and driving up Rt 7 through Rutland to Middlebury. I am looking for good picture taking areas...is there a better way to get to Middlebury and see some of Vermont on the way? I am not worried about getting to Middlebury quickly.

Thanks....

Frank

pwt54

Re: First Visit To Vermont...Staying in Middlebury...But

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:00 pm

I agree with that route. There was some nice color around the Burlington area(of all places) today.

dfpvt

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:42 am

I took Route 30 from Manchester almost to Middlebury two days ago and it was pretty nice.
Decent color most of the way. Still plenty of foliage. Not spectacular, but well worth the trip.

No traffic, although it was early Sunday morning.

pwt54

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:42 pm

Check out "northwest Vermont" report from today. There are some real "firecrackers' up in that area. Stay tuned, I'll be wandering up there some more this week. That area is only about an hour north of Middlebury.

Ballymote

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:28 am

Getting VERY excited. Less than 24 hours and we will be on our way to Vermont. It looks like even the weather is cooperating as Thursday and Friday seem to offer promise of actual SUNSHINE!!

Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments on suggested scenic drives. I would need 3 weeks to make each one but I will try and pick 2 or 3 of the best ones. If you have any last minute advice on something you see today please don't hesitate to post it.

Just a final couple of questions. I am thinking of having dinner at Tully and Marie's in Middlebury and maybe the Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes, anyone familiar with these or have better choices in that area? Also, is it worth it to drive up toward the peak of any mountains?
We have a new Chrysler 300 so I don't think my wife will be thrilled to try dirt roads (although that would't stop me).

Again, thanks for everything (especially PWT). I will post a trip report when I get back on Sunday.

Frank

pwt54

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:49 am

I don't believe the peaks will have any color after the winds we've had the last couple of days. The colors in the Champlain Valley still appear early. I was down at Dead Creek in Addison to see the snow geese and the oaks on Snake Mountain were in the early stage. I still believe that Northwest Vermont is the best for this weekend.