Where to go for good foliage 10/17-10/21

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

KellyCass

Where to go for good foliage 10/17-10/21

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:08 pm

We are going to be in Stowe between 10/16-10/21 and want to know where we can see some nice foliage. I am hoping that Stowe will have some color left, but I am not sure if that is too late. I have been seeing that maybe the Lake Champlain and maybe the Burlington areas might be good. I am a little nervous about the weather, as I hear it may be a bit windy over the next couple of days. Could anyone advise whether those areas would be good, or recommend other places that would be good to see some fall foliage? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

dfpvt

Re: Where to go for good foliage 10/17-10/21

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:51 am

According to the weather forecast you'll arrive about the time the sun comes out. The rain and wind have been hitting southern VT harder than the northern area around Stowe, and there may still be good color both to the east in the Northeast Kingdom and west or southwest towards L. Champlain. (Go back through the posts and you'll find lots of recommended routes x Stowe.)

If the foliage is disappointing around Stowe, a good day trip is the Charlotte-Essex ferry across L. Champlain, down the west side of the lake, crossing back to Vermont at Chimney Point, and back to Stowe via Dead Creek.
The Charlotte ferry is just south of Burlington off Route 7. Follow routes 22/9n south on the NY side. Cross back to VT south of Port Henry. Take 17 northeast to Dead Creek Wildlife Area for snow goose viewing, then east into the Green Mtns and 100 north to Stowe.

You'll go through virtually every type of landscape in the region. It's a very historic region too, with connections to the major conflicts between France, England, the native Americans and eventually the United States for control of the continent, but that's another story. It's worth a stop on both sides of Chimney Point Bridge to visit the historical sites and museum.

pwt54

Re: Where to go for good foliage 10/17-10/21

Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:16 am

Either that or head east toward the Peacham/Barnet and south of there. the colors were early last weekend, with plenty of leaves still on the trees. You can pick up the Peacham Road on route US 2 in Danville by turning right at the flashing yellow light.