Vermont was a gorgeous place !! Heartfelt thanks to the

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Jonie

Vermont was a gorgeous place !! Heartfelt thanks to the

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:56 am

We were at Vermont this columbus Day weekend..spent an entire day at North eastern Kingdom...had lots of anxiety reading all the reports but we fell in love with VT once we reached there! I dont know what peak is all about but whatever we saw there was the best , the most beautiful place we have ever seen...!! colours were fabulous....we took the routes suggested in the forum earlier including 5A ; there is a small road called CROSS RIDGE in 5A, which was picture perfect !!

Once again, our trip would not have been so perfect without the help of this forum..so please tune to this group whoever is planing a trip to VT :-)

pwt54

Re: Vermont was a gorgeous place !! Heartfelt thanks to the

Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:30 am

I just wish the weather was better. The "Kingdom" does appear to have the best colors in the State.

Jonie

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:12 pm

Guys !..There is a small confusion now .Im not sure whether its Cross Ridge...Its in 5A.. Take 5N from Lyndonville and join 5A N, and in between you will see a road with name containing "Ridge" to the right side.

Jonie

Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:15 pm

Weather was perfect ! Was nervous , bcoz there was forecast for Showers/Rain , but it turned out to be a dry day for us.. NEK was superb ! We took the higher elevations to Barton, Orleans and all...and it was a foggy day there..Couldnt see anything beyond 50-75 meters...But that was a wonderful experience...

pwt54

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:18 pm

That must have been the East Ridge Road going to East Sutton. I haven't been up there in years.

pwt54

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Wait a second. Were you heading south on route 5A ? There is also the North Ridge Road that hits the Crossroad and then to the Dolloff Pond Road. If you had driven the Dolloff Pond RD north from there and turned right just after the pond you would have been on the old CCC road that ends at the parking lot a mile south of Lake Willoughby.

ixl

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:15 pm

innkeeper -- I missed you twice. :) I came by last night but it was after 9 and I didn't want to disturb you. Then this morning I came by again but it was before 8 and again, didn't want to disturb you. I'm sure we'll get to meet on some future trip. :)

The Kingdom looked nice to me... some areas are past peak (at least how I define it, bear in mind I prefer an "early peak") but most of it is great. I even got a tiny bit of sunshine briefly this afternoon. Hoping for more in the am..

Charles
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Jonie

Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:54 pm

!!

we took 5 N to 5A N to 105 S to 114 S.....and it was on the way to Lyondonville, we saw this road...we saw one cemetry as well towards the mid of the road...we rode for almost 1-2 miles but didnt continue much thinking that it could be some private road coz it was written here and there that "its a private property and hunting, fishing is prohibited.."

pwt54

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:10 pm

Ayup, that was the East Hill Road to East Sutton. The road isn't private, but people have been known to disappear near the end of the road.

Jonie

Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:43 pm

I know im confusing you all, Im also confused..Bcoz i got mesmerized by the beauty of Vermont..If my memory is right, the road name may be North Ridge.Dfntly its on 5A N and its on the right side of the road..I've given a link for photos in the topic starting with "Vermont Foliage Pictures - Columbus Day Weekend - NEK". The first picture is taken from this road.

pwt54

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:57 am

The North Ridge Road is on the left side heading north on route 5A.

avoodi

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:23 am

Folks, can u please tell me what would be fall situation like ? in this coming weekend? Oct 15-16 ? after reading your posts , i can hardly wait to see it

pwt54

Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:22 am

Right now there is good color around the Stowe area down to Waitsfield. There are still reports of good color in northeastern vermont,but I haven't been up there in 2 weeks. Northwestern Vermont has color right now. The Peacham/Barnet showed promise last weekend. The Middlebury area had decent color last Monday. The snow geese are in at the Dead Creek Wildlife in Addison. This is located 1 mile west fo the junction of routes 22a and 17 west. Areas of good foliage are scattered all over without the usual pattern.