Fresh Vermont Country Air

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Fresh Vermont Country Air

Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 am

This time of year the farmers have got in their last crop of hay and are finishing the corn harvest. After they are done they fill up the old manure spreader and spread that "Fresh Vermont Country air" on the fields.. If you smell something funny it probably won't be your car. An extra coat of wax on your car won't hurt.

rtyrseck

Re: Fresh Vermont Country Air

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Bm.....

If I visit the wildlife Refuge and hoping to have the sun on my back for photography, which section of the refuge is my best bet for good subjects not too disatnt from my lenses?

If in the morning (shoot from the east side) or in the afternoon (shooting from the west)?

Thanks.........

pwt54

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:00 pm

It depends on when you go. From now to mid-October they will be south of route 17. When the food runs out they will cross over to the north side.

pwt54

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:19 pm

BM, the Fresh Country Air the farmers spread in our days ain't like what they spread today. "Our" farmers spread it straight from the cow. Today they have to let set in a tank and rot for a couple of months. I went by a couple of farmer spreading it today and now I have to rewax the car. On Sunday on an old road in Kirby there was a farmer on a Farmall "H" with an old John Deere spreader, spreading it straight from the cow. What a time warp that was. My brother and I both had our heads out the window and breathing deep.

Aspen

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:56 pm

Hello Folks, we got a few surprise samples of the "Fresh Vermont Country Air" on our drives throughout Vermont, this past week. Only assumed what it was and your comments confirm what we thought it was. Unless you are a Vermonter, I think most of us prefer the usual fresh air! Would like to know what is under all those long tarps sitting on many Vermont farms...ingredients for the "Country Fresh Air??" Also, saw serveral beautiful red barns with several stories, unusual, what is stored in them? We are only familiar with two story hay barns.
With all the research, taking advise from this forum, our worn out Vermont map and our lucky stars!!! we were able to share a large portion of Vermont in her autumn glory!! With Stowe and Killington as home bases, we roamed up and down Route 100 and around towns from Killington to Jay Peak. (In Vermont alone, put in 1,050 miles) Spent an entire day over in the Northeast Kingdom and down many routes suggested on the foliage forum for that area of Vermont...thanks to everyone on this foliage forum for all the routes, suggestions and advise. Taking "off the beaten path" routes, we could witness how people were busily preparing for the winter months ahead. Awed by how firewood was stacked up cords after cords..we think two cords here in Maryland is more than plenty!!! Many folks had their plows on their trucks, preparing for the snow (let us know when it arrives!) When we rounded the curve at Lake Willowby on Route 5A, we really entered a piece of heaven. Granite walls; colors were awesome and reflections on the lake (arrived late afternoon)...all colors during our drives were at their best with the sun behind our backs, late afternoon or like many informed us with an overcast sky...our pictures of a ski lift area at Mt. Killington as the rain clouds were moving in were awesomely brillant with red, amber, gold and the evergreens. When at Killington, we ventured over Route 4 to Quechee and the 100A loop back down to Ludlow where we picked up that special, sought after Maple creemee at the Green Mountain Sugar House off Rte 100.(Husband would have never forgiven me if we had not made it in time before the store closed in ten minutes!) At Quechee, surprised my husband with plans of a luncheon at Simon Pearce! Something he (and I) will never forget. Our table was by the window in the dining area that reaches over the Ottauquechee River; dam was flowing in front of us and a few feet down the river, cars were venturing over a beautiful covered bridge. Had to wait an hour for our table but that was a breeze..meanwhile shopped in their glass and pottery store, had time for picture opportunities and pause to watch the talented glass blowers create glassware and a lady making clay pottery bowls. Their products are used in the restaurant and sold in their store. Luncheon was terrific! Had butternut squash soup, ballymaloe brown bread, a quiche and hot mulled cider!
A word of caution for other flatlanders like us...wear safe hiking shoes when you venture up any mountains and trails. Some folks had walking sticks! Also, if you plan to visit Vermont for current or future Fall foliage, listen to the locals; get out on the back roads to view the colors up close and for a firsthand experience on how the people live there.
An outstanding viewing area with the fall colors is the Von Trappe meadows with fog lifting from the mountains in the morning...awesome! Pick up coffee and a fresh baked cinnamon roll at their bakery. Was not prepared for the thrill awaiting at Smuggler's Notch! Went there twice! Take your camera and again, if you want to climb any rocks, be safely prepared. Awesome area. Do make time for Rock of Ages in Graniteville. Very interesting granite quarry to visit... binoculars will permit you to observe the skilled artists at work on beautiful memorials close up. Pick up a map at the visitors' center for Hope Cemetery which guides you along to see many beautiful and unique Barre Granite Memorials!
Has Vermont donned her autumn attire? Definitely!
She is beautiful rain or shine!
A sadness tinged at our hearts as we had to depart Vermont! We left a portion of our hearts with her but vow to return!
Hats off to one of "America the Beautiful" states...Vermont! :)

pwt54

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:02 am

That was quite trip. We Vermonters remember the good old days of "Fresh Vermont Air". Back then the farmers could take the manure straight from the cow and spread into the fields. Today they have to store in a holding tank for 3 month and let it "age". You can use that stuff as a paint remover. Those big old barns were so high because they were built in the days when we were storing loose hay. This was before hay bale were invented. Loose hay takes up about twice the space.

Aspen

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:11 pm

PWT 54 Thanks for explaining what the multi story barns are used for. What are those long blue and white tarps on some farms? Is it fertilizer?
This wonderful visit to Vermont has left us with a permanent love and respect for this state!

pwt54

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:01 am

The farmers use the tarps to cover the chopped up grass. That way they don't have to build a new silo or barn.