What about today?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

rsskelton

What about today?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:10 pm

Hello all you loyal foliage posters; This is Steve in Birmingham sitting here anxiously awaiting tales of todays drives through the Vermont countryside. Please give us the scoop(and I don't mean Ben and Jerry's). Has there been any noticable change in color over the weekend? I am making my first trip up this Thursday the 6th for four days and can hardly wait. After your looking around today, where would you say the best bets for good color on those day's will now be, and do you think it will be at least moderate or better color by that time? Thanks people; I am depending on you to keep my dream alive!! Can't wait to get there. :)
southern rookie

pwt54

Re: What about today?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:42 am

The Northeast Kingdom should be at peak from route 16 and east and between Lyndonville and Island Pond. There should be good pre-peak color from route 100 and east and north of route 15. I'm going to ride around some of the road around route 100 and will keep you posted on the progress.

dfpvt

Re: What about today?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:58 am

As of Monday morning Bennington and Rutland county are still mostly green in the valleys, but bright reds and yellows are starting to show up. Route 7 between Bennington and Manchester is starting to show some color for the first time, although still mostly green.

I drove north on Route 7 near Rutland yesterday and walked up the overlook above Clarendon Gorge on the Long Trail. Very little color there, even though it's an oak forest; and it was mostly green west across the valley south of Rutland.

It was mostly green on Route 103 south to Ludlow too, but there was nice color on Route 100 just north of Weston in Windsor County. By Columbus Day there may be nice color on much of Route 100.

Manchester area was still green yesterday afternoon, with just the hint of color in the hills.

It was a spectacular day - bright blue sky and warm - and a lot of Vermonters were out enjoying the extended summer. Although it may have been disappointing if foliage was your only agenda, it was a perfect day to be outside.

The color is bright in the patches where it's started to come out, so there's no reason to think that it won't eventually be a good foliage season.