a southern belle wanting to see the foliage!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ckat

a southern belle wanting to see the foliage!

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:28 pm

hi there! i am scheduled to come to vermont sunday-thursday (oct. 2-0ct. 6) and then to head to montreal next weekend. i'm getting really concerned about the lack of color and the warm weather. should we cancel? this is probably our only trip to vermont (and our first), and i'd rather try and go another year to really have the "fall" experience.
if we don't cancel, where should we go to see color? we're staying in woodstock and then burlington. will there be color in montreal? any sights we just shouldn't miss?
thanks so much, from a wanna-be new englander!

SeekingColor

Re: a southern belle wanting to see the foliage!

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi there,

Sounds like a great trip. This isn't exactly an answer to your foliage question, however it does have to do with Montreal. You must visit Old Montreal. Make sure you have a good amount of time to spend in this beautiful part of the city and do have dinner in one of the many romantic restaurants there (candle light, cobblestone streets, what could be better?!). I was there earlier this year and very touched by the beauty and enjoyment of walking all around the old European like area.

You'll have a great time and I'm sure you'll be seeing some foliage along the way.

I will also be in Vermont from Oct 2-5, and with the help and advice of this forum have learned of some excellent routes to take to see the leaves.

The weather will be spectacular as well. I guess I'll settle for fewer leaves and great weather, than the other way around!

Have a great trip!!!

Lisa

ckat

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:37 pm

Thanks for your reply! We definitely want to see Old Montreal and are looking forward to it. The good weather is a plus, although it's been so hot where I live I was actually looking forward to some typical vermont autumn-type weather. oh, well-hopefully there will be some color, especially a few reds and oranges. have a good time on your trip as well!

dfpvt

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:13 pm

From Woodstock, the best color will be north in Essex County according to all reports. That's an easy 1 hour drive northeast from Woodstock on Route 4 to I-89 east, then I-91 north. St Johnsbury is the major town in the area. Call the Northeast Kingdom Chamber of Commerce for specific advice. 1-800-639-6379.

Woodstock is a little to the east of the highest hills in the Green Mountains, where the color should be nice by early next week, even if not at peak. When you drive to Burlington, go west on Route 4, then north on 100, and over the mountains on Route 17. You can head north on Route 116 to Burlington. There are several variations of this. The main point is to cross over the higher mountains east to west, but not on route 4 via Killington (traffic...not as scenic)

There won't be any foliage in Montreal. You might actually want to backtrack on Route 89 to Waterbury, then head north on 15 and 100 through Stowe, head east and cross into Quebec on I-91, then west to Montreal on Route 10. Lots of ways to do this on back roads, but this is the general route.

Avoid the often recommended Route 2 through the L. Champlain Islands, unless you're a history buff or geologist. Flat, mostly farms, and not at its best this time of year.

In Montreal, check out the Atwater and Jean Talon Markets. Very colorful markets with lots of local specialities, and less touristy than Old Montreal. Atwater has a very good bakery and deli for lunch. Jean Talon is bigger and has a better coffee shop. (Note that you can take Canadian grown produce back to the United States.) Les Remperts is a wonderful restaurant in Old Montreal - among many - and the Pointe-a-Calliere Museum on the edge of the Old City is an entertaining place to learn the history of Montreal. If you weren't aware of it, the Black and Blue Festival will be in full swing Oct. 5-11, so the "The Village", the gay neighborhoods to the east of the Old City will be livelier than usual, and the city pretty crowded.

pwt54

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:19 pm

Northeast Vermont above St.Johnsbury will have the best foilage in one big area. Also the high roads of routes 73,125,Lincoln Gap Road, and 17 between route 100 and route US 7 are showing color. I've seen a post that route 9 between Brattleboro and Bennington is showing color. If you take route 100 between Killington and Ludlow, stop at the Green Mountain Sugarhouse for a maple cree-mee. Yummy!!