should I cancel?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bev123

should I cancel?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:55 am

Reading the various postings about this year's color, I'm getting nervous. I've read that that not only will the colors be late, they will also be dull this year. I'm planning on going to Vermont over Columbus Day weekend for the first, and (sadly) probably only, time. I'm starting to think I should cancel, save my money, and go next year. Is it really that bad this year?

dfpvt

Re: should I cancel?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:48 am

"I have worried about many things in my life, and most of them never happened." Winston Churchill.

Personally, I wouldn't cancel. Even a week behind schedule, the colors will be close to peak by then, somewhere, and all you have to is drive around a bit. Much depends on elevation and micro-climates, and Vermont is so small, things change when you drive 30 minutes in any direction.

Next year it could be snowing on Columbus Day or raining black & white cows.

ixl

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:28 am

The colors around here at least are late but not dull. In fact, they are much nicer than last year, which was pretty poor (IMO) in the southern part of the state. I'd be surprised if they were bad up north either. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

4sneau

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:17 pm

I can't imagine that there won't be good color somewhere over Columbus Day Weekend, HOWEVER... even if there weren't any leaves to look at, there would still be enough to do, and enough charm and beauty to make you choke up at the wonder of it! There may be some rainy days, or days when the clouds hang so low, that they obscure the long views from the mountaintops. Don't let such days ruin your trip...there's still lots to do, see, hear, smell, taste, and feel! In fact, consider yourself lucky...it would give you time to stop and smell the roses...or
damp leaves, as the case may be.

pwt54

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:23 pm

I think Columbus Day Weekend will be good around route US 2 and north of there. Don't cancel.