Where to stay in south

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Alex3L

Where to stay in south

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:25 pm

I am arriving in Burlington October 14. From most of the posts here it seems that I may a bit late for the best colors in northern Vermont. Do you have any suggestions for a nice comfortable accomodation in the south of Vermont for the weekend of Oct 15 - 16 and maybe Monday? My wife has been through some very difficult experiences recently and I would like to make this special for her. Thank you.
Alex

dfpvt

Re: Where to stay in south

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:00 pm

You may not be too late for color, and staying in the north may be the best strategy.

For something special, try the Pitcher Inn in Warren, Vermont, if you can get a room. It's about an hour from the Burlington airport in the heart of the mountains. Foods good. It's a Relais et Chateaux member. Lots of colorful drives and hikes in the immediate area. http://www.pitcherinn.com/

If cost is no object, try Twin Farms in Barnard.
www.twinfarms.com. Nice spa. Doubt they'll have space that time of year, but it's worth it if they do.

pwt54

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:39 am

At that time of foliage season I would look for lodging in the Manchester/Bennington area or the Brattleboro area. I really don't like to recommend any one place to stay because there are so many good ones and I 'm not sure what your price range is.

Alex3L

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I know that PA (my original home state) foliage colors can vary year to year re: time and color intensity, so I am staying two nights in Burlington and two in Arlington. From there I will go to PA via the best photo ops.

pwt54

Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:36 am

There are 2 covered bridges in Arlington. One can be seen from route 313 west of Arlington. The Chiselville Bridge is on the East Arlington Road. If it's a real nice day, try the Skyline Drive up Mt. Equinox off route 7A in Manchester. There are 3 covered bridges in Bennington. They are off route 67A west of Bennington. One is on the Silk Road and the other 2 are on the Murphy Road. Your plan looks good.