My 2005 Foliage Trip.

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

OLEG

My 2005 Foliage Trip.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:57 pm

Hello,
I fell in love with Vermont a few years ago. Keep returning every year during Columbus Day long weekend. Last year drove from Rt 100 from Kent Lake all the way to Stowe & then to Mt.Mansfield. Also Rts. 133 & 134.
This year I got my reservation for Cornwall Orchard Inn B&B, near Middlebury Oct 7 - 9. Could you please suggest a few very scenic drives in the area. Is there something comparable to Rt 100 N. If not, I'd rather repeat 100N this year. Is it possible to combine scenic drives with scenic hikes in the area?
I have a good map but I have little time and I do not know what roads to pick for foliage scenery.
Also, I do not have SUV, just a small sedan.
I am very greatful for your help.

pwt54

Re: My 2005 Foliage Trip.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:27 pm

Have you seen the snow geese in Addison? They will be at the Dead Creek Wildlife Refuge on route 17 west of the junction of route 22A. They should be in at that time and put on quite a show. I have always liked doing route 30 from top to bottom. Have you done the Lincoln Gap road? It starts as th River Road off route 116 north of Bristol Village.

OLEG

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 am

OK. With your help and with a good map, I thought I had it all figured out.
Now I doubt my itinenary because of the late foliage. I believe I should be heading for elevations. My question is, are Gap Roads and Addison area on the elevation? If not, what would be my best bet (under the circumstances) in Middlebury area? I really want to stay closer to Middlebury but if there's no foliage, I'd rather drive all the way up Rt. 100N.
Thanks again. :o

dfpvt

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:43 pm

I'd stick with your plans to stay near Middlebury.
By then the foliage near there may be excellent, and some of the best hikes in the state are in that area. Get the Green Mountain Club's Long Trail map. It's got the best hiking routes and concise times and instructions. Camel's Hump is a classic and there will be some nice foliage there. From Middlebury, use the trails from Huntington Center. Wonderful views from the treeless summit. There was already some bright color visible from the summit last weekend.

Ditto Mt. Abraham from Lincoln Gap.

The various "Gap" drives over the mountains east of Middlebury are all nice.

Note that there's virtually no foliage to the west of Middlebury. That's farm country on the old lakebed. It has its own charm, and there are snowgeese being reported at Dead Creek, but it's one of the few regions in VT where the forest doesn't dominate.

pwt54

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:31 pm

Appalacian Gap (Route 17) was showing early color last Sunday. The Snake Mountain Trail is on the Mountain Road off route 17 just east of Addison. There is a parking area about 100 yards north of the trail. When you look west at the top and the fields look white, the snow geese are in. Check them out.

OLEG

Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:32 pm

OK, I have my 3-day Foliage Trip planned as follows:

Day 1: October 7
----------------

Drive from Brooklyn NY to Vermont.
Arrive via Rt 4. Turn to Rt 30 at Castleton Corners.
Take Rt 73 to Forest Dale, where I take Rt 53.
Follow Rt. 53 to Rt 7.
Take Rt 7 to Middlebury. Lunch, Walk around Middlebury College.
Turn to Cornwall (where I stay) via Rt 30.

Day 2: October 8
----------------

Drive Rt 125 over Ripton, Middlebury Gap, Texas Falls. ( Hike at Texas Falls.)
Turn Rt 100, take it to Warren.
At Warren, turn West, go over Lincoln Gap, Bristol - to Addison for white geese show.
Return to Cornwall Rt 17 - Rt 7 - Rt 30.

Day 3: October 9
----------------

Take Rt 116 to Bristol.Return via Rt 166 and
Take Road 4 to New Have Junction and go on Rt 30
Follow Rt 30 to Manchester.
Find the way to I-87 to New York.

My questions:
------------

1. Do I have enough photo-scenic places to cover ?
2. Do I need SUV on Gap roads (not going to Appalachian Gap) ?
3. Do you see a better alternative for day 3 ? That is to ask how to gain maximum from my drive back home ?

In conclusion, I would like to thank everyone on this Board, especially posters "pw" and "bm" for their help and guidance.

:eek:

OLEG

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:14 pm

Dear innkeeperSeymourLakeLodge:
I am going to do a lot of driving in just 3 days. Plus, I reserved a room at Cornwall a month ago.
Days 1 & 3 are definitely out of the question. Day 2 may be a different matter. I will be driving IN Vermont rather than TO and FROM Vermont. In such case, I will substitute my Gap roads and Addison area for your North suggestions.
Could you please suggest some places "North" ?

Thanks

carmen

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:09 pm

Oleg- Just check out the weather ahead of time and you may have to make some adjustments.

www.weather.com

pwt54

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:08 pm

I think doing the "Gap" rides that BM posted would work okay next weekend. If you want to go north then get on route US 7 north in Middlebury and go to the intersection of route 17 EAST in New Haven Jct. Turn right on route 17 east and drive to the flashing red light at the junction of route 116 in Bristol. Go straight at the flashing red light as routes 116 and 17 combine here for about 5 miles. Drive through Bristol village and in about 3 miles start looking for route 17 east on the right side. Drive route 17 east to the end at route 100 in Waitsfield and turn left. There should be good color in the highlands of route 17. Drive route 100 north. colors will be early as you start north but will improve after you get to Stowe and will be peak above route 15 in Hyde Park. Go through Morrisville is tricky. When you come to the flashing red light turn left. drive down the hill and then turn left by the Bijou theater. Drive to the next intersection and turn right. This will bring you to the stop light on route 15. Turn left and drive route 15 west about 3 miles until you come to route 100 north again on the right side. Drive route 100 north to the junction of route 58 east in Lowell,VT. Turn right on route 58 east and drive to the end at route 5A south in Westmore. Turn right and take route 5A south by Lake Willoughby and down to route US 5 in West Burke. Turn left and drive route US 5 south through Lyndonville and to I-91 south. Drive I-91 south to exit 21 and then take route US 2 west to I-89 in Montpelier. Take I-89 north to exit 12 in Williston. Turn left on to route 2A south and take that to route 166 south and turn left to get home. If you think taht might be too long, then drive route 58 to route 14 south in Irasburg and turn right and drive route 14 south to route 15 west. Turn right and take route 15 west to that traffic light at route 100 south in Morrisville amd turn left to get to I-89 in Waterbury.

OLEG

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:14 am

Reports about Columbus Day foliage have been discouraging. It will be about 80F whole week ahead, with rain coming on October 7 and continuing thru the entire weekend.

I was able to re-schedule my trip for October 16, 17, 18 :roll:

My itinenary stays as above, unless you advise adjustments to it. My questions remain:

1. Do I have enough photo-scenic places to cover ?
2. Do I need SUV on Gap roads (not going to Appalachian Gap) ?
3. Do you see a better alternative for day 3 ? That is to ask how to gain maximum from my drive back home ? Is Manchester area more less attractive ?

Thanks

pwt54

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:54 am

Route 30 is a good drive at that time. Should have good color. If it's a nice day, when you get to route 7A in Manchester turn right and head south on Rt. 7A and look for the Skyline Drive Toll Road and drive that to the top of Mt.Equinox. Great views up there. You can then go south to Arlington and take route 313 west to route 61 in New York. Take RT. 61 to the end at route 29 and turn left. Take route 29 to Saratoga Springs and pick up I-87 near there.

dfpvt

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:07 am

Oleg - It could be a very nice weekend around Middlebury on your original route. The color is developing nicely in southern Vermont (Bennington County.)

On your last day: When you go down route 30 instead of going to Manchester, turn west (right) on route 315 at East Rupert, which is a mile or so before Dorset.
Go over Rupert Mountain to Salem (the road number changes to 153 in NY), the south on 22 to Route 29, then head west (right) to Saratoga and I-87 south. It's a scenic route through the backroads with a variety of forest and elevation changes, and the color is often very good.

If you decide you really want to go into Manchester, take the same right turn at route 315 in E. Rupert, but immediately turn left on West Rd. Follow it to its end at Route 30, and continue to Route 7, not 7a, east of Manchester. The foliage viewing is much better from Route 7, a limited access highway. You can follow that south to 267 west to NY 7 and I-87 at Troy.

Ditto no SUV. You can get over all the roads in a 2 wheel drive vehicle this time of year.

dfpvt

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:14 am

Oleg - if it's a clear day when you head back, follow pwt's advice about Mt. Equinox, and Route 313, etc., to Saratoga.

OLEG

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:31 am

OK. Thanks a million, everyone!
I am all set. I even have "a clear day" vs "not clear day" option when I head back to NY on my last day.
I appreciate this forum's help. Being a stranger in Vermont, I would not be able to select my routes without you.
Please look at my 2004 trip to Vermont:

https://www.lempert.smugmug.com/gallery/623910

Will post new pics when I come back. :)