Geese and foliage

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

scurtis623

Geese and foliage

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:08 pm

Hi, just got back from a wonderful trip to norther VT. Thanks so much for the info on the foliage up near Bristol,North Ferrisburg, Charlotte area, it was beautiful on Friday, we went over the Lincoln Gap and other roads I learned about from this group.

Tried to go up Mtn Philo but the gate was closed both Friday & Sat. too bad because it was so pretty there. Foliage on the other side of the mts was gone, it seemed strange to have it so pretty over on the Shelburn side.

We went to see the Geese Friday around 3pm, at first we didn't see any, then what looked like a mile away, we saw what looked like a big patch of snow, we could see that was where the geese were. It was very disapointing, we drove around some of the roads to see if we could get closer, not really. Went back Sat. morning, same thing. Guess we will have to try again next year.
Some people said they had been up close to the fence, but they weren't Friday & Sat. So, knowing about the new foliage sites saved the week-end.
Shirley

pwt54

Re: Geese and foliage

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:24 pm

I was down there Sunday and they were still down in the back area. There was a hawk there that would fly by and send the whole flock off in a frenzy. Took a hike on one of the trails and there wasn't much there either. Foliage just about gone.

dfpvt

Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:14 am

PWT - I saw a northern harrier working the viewing area at Dead Creek Sunday afternoon. Was that the hawk you saw? Brown with a white rump and long wings and tail. Flies slowly close to the ground.

pwt54

Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:16 am

It was too far to tell. I've seen harrier's buzz the geese in past years.