Any suggestions for Oct 23-24 weekend?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

KH

Any suggestions for Oct 23-24 weekend?

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:36 pm

Hi folks,

I realize that most areas are peaking this weekend or have already passed their peak as far as fall foliage is concerned. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get down to Vermont until next weekend. Are there any areas that should still be good for picture-taking by then, or will it be too late? Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks :)

ixl

Re: Any suggestions for Oct 23-24 weekend?

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:54 pm

I was in Bennington today and a lot of areas are still not peak, in fact some were still quite green. They should be okay next weekend. So should the Brattleboro area (though I haven't been there this season.)

Whether it is worth coming up or not depends on where you are and what seeing the color is worth to you.

I'll try to give an update later this week. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

dfpvt

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:37 am

I drove from Manchester, VT, to Saratoga Springs, NY, on Saturday and the foliage from West Rupert to Saratoga was just reaching peak. The further west, the more green. It was at peak along the Battenkill River around Greenwich, NY. (Rt. 29) and throughout the valley between Salem, NY, and W.Rupert,VT. (Rt 153)

On Sunday I drove from Bennington to Albany and it was about the same. Still quite a bit of green on Rt. 9/7 west of Bennington, although there were a few barren patches.

I didn't explore the back roads east of Route 22 between Hoosic Falls, NY, and Granville, NY, which falls roughly inbetween my routes, but the foliage should have been nice in places like Shushan, NY. There are big stands of sugar maple and oak in that part of the Taconics, so potentially good color.

Rt. 7 from Bennington to East Dorset still has a lot of color, but it's past peak, so mostly gold and brown. At the 1000'-800' elevation, the trees still have their leaves, although today's breeze may take a few down. Below that elevation, there are a lot of barren trees.

The foliage of SW Vermont is still pretty at the middle elevations, and may even be peaking in a few isolated spots, but it won't last many more days.

KH

Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:37 pm

Originally posted by ixl:
I'll try to give an update later this week. --c
Thanks, Charles. If you can provide an update late in the week (i.e. as near to the weekend as possible), that would be a great help. I really appreciate you taking the time to post :)