Foliage: Scenic Routes -Driving, Hiking, Biking

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Foliage: Scenic Routes -Driving, Hiking, Biking

Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:10 am

i've been to vermont for the past two years for foliage and had a great time both years. i'm going again this october and am looking for recommendations for some new scenic routes. i've always stayed on route 4 near woodstock/quechee area, i've also explored areas close to NY border, as well as white mountain area in NH. any new suggestions?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Foliage: Scenic Routes -Driving, Hiking, Biking

Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:48 am

Great driving routes for foliage viewing aren't always that obvious. After living here for about 15 years, I can offer you this advise:<P>1. If you are in the Stowe area at the right time(peak or near peak), take the mountain road to Smugglers Notch.<BR>2. Craftsbury and Craftsbury Common - a half hour from Stowe offer some stunning back roads, for driving and biking.<BR>3.Hiking suggestion - Hike up Mount Pisgah overlooking Lake Willoughby. You will hardly encounter a soul and there are some stunning views on the way up.<P>------------------<BR> Timothy Palmer-Benson [Mail:tim@pbpub.com]<BR> ** Web Publishing for Vermont **<BR> *** <A HREF="http://www.scenesofvermont.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.scenesofvermont.com</A> ***<BR>**** Tel:802-895-4295, Fax:802-895-4635****<BR> *****Box 219, Morgan VT 05853*****<BR>___________________________________

svmoderator

Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:13 am

You could also try the Mad River Valley (Sugarbush area), which is just south of Stowe on Rte. 100. There is a lot of hiking in the area, biking on many dirt roads and off-road (local bike shops have maps). Also three gaps that should not be missed (driving or biking if your legs and lungs can take it)--the Appalachian Gap (Rte. 17), which crosses the Long Trail; you can hike north to Camel's Hump from there. The Roxbury Gap from Warren with breathtaking views overlooking the entire valley and the facing mountain range (containing the Long Trail, the Green Mountain National Forest, and Sugarbush & Mad River Glen ski areas; Also the Lincoln Gap (closed in winter) that also crosses the Long Trail--you can park there too and hike north to the top of Mt. Abraham and get totally drop-dead views of the surrounding peaks and valleys. The top of Mt. Abraham has sensitive arctic vegetation (so hikers are encouraged to stay on the trail) and is virtually above timberline. Then, south of this area and south of Rochester (about a half-hour drive) is the Brandon Gap (Rte. 73), which is also a great driving gap. And don't forget the Middlebury Gap (Scenic Hwy. Rte. 125), which is also in Green Mtn. National Forest, crosses the Long Trail and has other hiking opportunities, too. To stay in luxury in the area, try the Inn at Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield; for lesser but pleasant accommodations, the Powderhound on Rte. 100 is a great place...not expensive, and they have a hot tub for relaxing after whatever workout you put yourself through that day, 800-548-4022. For area accommodations, call 800-82visit or 800-53sugar. The gaps I spoke of were in a Yankee Magazine article Sept. 2000 called "Center Stage - Riding the Gaps," well worth tracking down. Hope this gives you some new ideas...it's a great area! Susanne

svmoderator

Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:19 am

PS: If you're checking a Vermont map for these gaps, the mountain road from Stowe to Smuggler's Notch is VT Rte. 108 (also closed in winter). There's also Hazen's Notch up north toward the NE Kingdom on VT Rte. 58; crosses the Long Trail as well, and is closed in winter. You can day-trip to both of these from the Mad River Valley. Have fun! Susanne

Mary Jane

Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:17 pm

Hazen's Notch, the long trail and the Jay Peak area is a wonderful place to visit. Plenty of hiking and biking challenges. I have an Inn 3 miles from Jay Peak and about 2 miles from the entrance to the long trail, if you are interested in coming to this area please visit my web site for accommodations information. <A HREF="http://www.theenglishroseinn.com." TARGET=_blank>www.theenglishroseinn.com.</A> <BR>Mary Jane<BR>English Rose Inn

Mary Jane

Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:18 pm

Hazen's Notch, the long trail and the Jay Peak area is a wonderful place to visit. Plenty of hiking and biking challenges. I have an Inn 3 miles from Jay Peak and about 2 miles from the entrance to the long trail, if you are interested in coming to this area please visit my web site for accommodations information. <A HREF="http://www.theenglishroseinn.com." TARGET=_blank>www.theenglishroseinn.com.</A> <BR>Mary Jane<BR>English Rose Inn