opinions on my routes for this weekend?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Susan2004

opinions on my routes for this weekend?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:21 am

I've seen some great advice/suggestions on here so I thought I'd run my tentative itinerary by everyone for thoughts:

Friday:

Driving from NY to Burlington (via Lake
Champlain ferry)

Lunch in Burlington

Burlington to Shelburne (via Rt. 7)
check out Shelburne Farms, Museum and covered bridge near there

(If not too dark by then...) Shelburne to Charlotte to check out the covered bridges mentioned on here

Dinner in Charlotte or Shelburne

Back to cottage on Lake Iroquois for the night

Saturday:

Lake Iroquois to Waterbury/Waterbury Center for breakfast (via Rt. 89)

Waterbury to Stowe (via Rt. 100)
Possibly stop at some or all of the following along the way: Cold Hollow Cider, Cabot outlet, Ben & Jerry's, Trapp Family Lodge and have lunch in Stowe

Stowe to Morrisville (via Rt. 100)

Morrisville to Montpelier (via Rt. 12)
From Montpelier I'm debating between three choices:

Choice A: stay in Montpelier to sight-see, have dinner then back to Lake Iroquois for the night

Choice B: Montpelier to Waitsfield to tour round barns, covered bridges and have dinner before returning to Lake Iroquois

Choice C: Montpelier to Brookfield to see the floating bridge (again) and have dinner before returning to Lake Iroquois

Any opinions on the choices?

Sunday:

Lake Iroquois to Middlebury (via Rt. 116)
Visit college, etc. in Middlebury and have breakfast/brunch there

Middlebury to Brandon (via Rt. 30 to Rt. 73 across Brandon Gap)

Brandon to Proctor (via Rt. 7 to Pittsford then Rt. 3 to Proctor)
Visit Wilson Castle

Proctor to Rutland (via Rt. 3)
Arrive by 4pm at latest to visit family friend before departing for NY by 6:00pm

This is all definitely tentative - who knows if we'll want to do this much or just spend some time relaxing, but I wanted a plan just in case we felt like ramming so we don't waste time figuring out routes etc. once we're there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, including your opinions on priorities if you think I have too much listed each day.

Thanks so much!

Susan2004

Re: opinions on my routes for this weekend?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:35 am

Thanks for the thoughts BM. I guess I missed your thread on the construction. I had planned Rt. 7 because I heard it's a very scenic drive. I still want to hit Shelburne though.

I planned to go Brandon Gap when coming down from Middlebury because I have heard it's supposed to be a beautiful drive - is it not worth the extra miles?

I especially appreciate the restaurant tips! I'm pregnant and finally into my second trimester and wanting to eat again. I'm looking foward to having some yummy food on this trip! We're hoping to hit the NECI while we're there!

pwt54

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:24 pm

Brandon Gap is a good ride and the colors should be good. The only problem I see in you schedule is the Shelburne Museum. It has 38 buildings and exibits on 40 acres. It will take you all day.

pwt54

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:29 pm

Sorry for the break, I had to help a trucker find a street in Williston. The choice between Waitsfield and the floating bridge is a tough one. The are very few floating bridges, but colors will be better in Waitsfield. I was over to Brookfield last Sunday and the colors were early. They will be better this weekend.

Susan2004

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:40 pm

Thanks again for the continued feedback. From your input I'm leaning toward Waitsfield over Brookfield, but I'll see what my husband wants to do. I've been to the floating bridge before - he has not been to Vermont ever!