Another great hiking trek to Vermont today, 7/16, the new Missing Links Trail in Dummerston!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Another great hiking trek to Vermont today, 7/16, the new Missing Links Trail in Dummerston!

Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:58 pm

Hello SOV'ers! Just got back from another great hike with a wow payoff view at the Haydock Vista! To start the day, we somehow missed the correct exit off 91 to get to our trailhead, thus ending up on a series of endless, rural back dirt roads which proved to be quite interesting! :mrgreen:

Completed in 2020, the Missing Links trails and trailheads offer new vistas, incredible scenery, and a link to Prospect Hill in Dummerston. Maybe even some day to Black Mountain and the West River Trail! I did a hike a couple of years ago in the Windmill Hill Trail System and it was just excellent. The Putney Mountain Association has totally got their act together for hikers and I consider their trails systems some of the best in the state. It was somewhat humid and buggy when we first started up the trail but the stuff I am currently using is the best. I will list some of that at the end!

It was a LONG (moderate difficulty) hike up to the Haydock Vista which was our goal for this particular hike. I have to commend the trail building crew for their work blazing and creating these trails. Their hard work really showed; the trail was almost always hard packed dirt but good hiking shoes were a must due to rocks and ruts here and there, I did not need hiking poles. The streams were dried up due to lack of water and there were only a few areas of mud to deal with. They've been doing a lot of tree clearing as well. I was very glad to reach the vista because it was a long trek up there! The Haydock Vista is a tri-state view that looks down the West River Valley. The sharp little peak of Round Mountain captures your attention, while the evergreen-covered slopes of Black Mountain dominates the view. Farther left is Northfield Mountain in Massachusetts and Wantastiquet Mountain in New Hampshire. The trail and the vista are named after Roger Haydock who built many trails in the area. You can choose to continue up to the end of the northern part of the trail to the third largest ash tree in VT where the northern portion of the Missing Link Trail currently ends or turn south to a trail leading to the Prospect Hill Trail and Loop. I consider this an isolated type of hike in the woods so if you like company, it may not be for you. :wink: Except for four other folks, we were the only ones there today.

So hungry, we ended up at the Putney General Store for lunch and then to Hidden Springs Maple up the road a piece. I also stopped at the Putney Food Coop for some snacks for the ride home. Great place! There is a beautiful community garden across the street. Not sure where the farmer's market is held currently, last time we were there, it was in this spot.

I'm lining up two more summer hikes for August. Here are my thoughts, any advice welcomed! Mt. Harmon, Lye Brook Falls and Haystack Mountain. Then the fall hikes in central VT cometh!

Here's what I used for bug spray, works every time!

Off! Deep Woods with DEET 98.25%
Cutter Skinsations insect repellent
Burt's Bees All Natural Herbal Insect Repellent

Trails – Putney Mountain Association
http://putneymountain.org/trails/

Putney Mountain Association: Missing Link Trails - Trail Finder
https://www.trailfinder.info/trails/tra ... ink-trails

Putney General Store
https://www.putneygeneralstore.com/

https://www.hiddenspringsmaple.com/
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot