Best bets for peak fall foliage after Saturday’s rain.

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

GopalM

Best bets for peak fall foliage after Saturday’s rain.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having a hard time deciding where to go see peak foliage in Central and Southern Vermont on coming Sunday, especially considering the fact that there is going to rain on Saturday. Someone in a Facebook group suggested to go to the towns along route 7 in Vermont. Can someone please give suggestions for places which will be at peak even after the rain on Saturday. I am interested in mountains and hills at peak foliage conditions as well as ponds and lakes. I am also debating whether to go to Lake Sunapee region or Monadnock region in NH instead,especially after reading the reports of damaged leaves and early dropping of the leaves in Vermont because of the weather, pathogens and insects pests. I will appreciate any advice from the expert leaf peepers on this forum. Thanks in advance.

loafer89

Re: Best bets for peak fall foliage after Saturday’s rain.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Route 7 had peak foliage color from Bennington to Arlington yesterday, not sure how it is past that point. Higher elevations are done for the season. I'm not familiar with foliage in New Hampshire.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi Gopal, I suggest you stick to Southern Vermont along the route 7 corridor from Bennington to Manchester paralleling Mt. Tabor. At Wallingford take 140 east. Take 103 east to Mt. Holly and over to Ludlow to Okemo. Or take 155 south to Weston. Travel on 100 south to 11 West and back to Manchester.

In the alternative, take 7A up to Manchester and take 30 west to Dorset and take Danby Mountain Road all the way to Danby. Continue east to 140 at Wallingford and south on West Hill Road (beautiful) and travel it awhile and then take left on town road 47 to route 7 south back to Manchester.

If you want to do Dorset, let me know and I have some back road loops that are short and divine.

I wish I could help more but if you parallel route 7 along the mountain ranges you should be good to go in southern Vermont.

Sorry for the rambling but it's been a long day!

GopalM

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:30 pm

loafer89 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:50 pm
Route 7 had peak foliage color from Bennington to Arlington yesterday, not sure how it is past that point. Higher elevations are done for the season. I'm not familiar with foliage in New Hampshire.
Thank you so much for the current info on fall foliage status along route 7. This is really helpful.

GopalM

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:56 pm

ctyanky wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:51 pm
Hi Gopal, I suggest you stick to Southern Vermont along the route 7 corridor from Bennington to Manchester paralleling Mt. Tabor. At Wallingford take 140 east. Take 103 east to Mt. Holly and over to Ludlow to Okemo. Or take 155 south to Weston. Travel on 100 south to 11 West and back to Manchester.

In the alternative, take 7A up to Manchester and take 30 west to Dorset and take Danby Mountain Road all the way to Danby. Continue east to 140 at Wallingford and south on West Hill Road (beautiful) and travel it awhile and then take left on town road 47 to route 7 south back to Manchester.

If you want to do Dorset, let me know and I have some back road loops that are short and divine.

I wish I could help more but if you parallel route 7 along the mountain ranges you should be good to go in southern Vermont.

Sorry for the rambling but it's been a long day!
It’s not rambling at all. This is the kind of detailed information I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking out the time and sharing your suggestions and detailed directions on fall foliage driving tours along route 7, especially after a long, tiring day. You are very thorough and seem to have a lot of knowledge of the scenic drives in Vermont for fall foliage viewing. I am glad to receive this information.

I think I would like to go with the second option which includes Dorset. Please do share your suggestions on back road loops in Dorset.

I will trouble you with a few more questions. Can you please suggest a lake or a pond, a water fall and a scenic overlook or vista for above region. What are other scenic places you suggest for this region? We are coming from Boston, do you have any suggestions which interstate highway we should take so that we can see more foliage even while driving up to Vermont and back, to maximize our fall foliage viewing. I am sorry for so many questions. But I am a fall foliage addict and can’t seem to have enough of the amazing fall colors.

Thank you so much again.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:45 pm

Hi Gopal, if I were coming from Boston, take the pike west to scenic route NY22 north. It is really lovely with farms and pastures. It will circumvent Pittsfield (lots of traffic congestion). Get off at exit for Hancock on route 43 east and go past Jiminy Peak on Brodie Mountain Road to route 7 north. The ride up to Williamstown is gorgeous with mountain views to the east and north. The town is lovely (Williams College is picture perfect). As you enter Pownal on 7, bear left on 346. Take Cedar Hill to Quarry Hill Road to the North Pownal Road. Turn right on North Pownal and left on Carpenter Hill Road. Travel north on Carpenter Hill Road. This is a dirt road ascending into higher elevation with great views at the pullouts at the summit apple orchards. (tons of them). At the top of Carpenter Hill Road the views of the valley and mountains are outstanding with the Bennington Monument in the distance. Can't be beat!!! A former forum member who recently moved to NH, told me about Carpenter Hill years ago and we always enter Bennington this way. (Stop at the Apple Barn on the way up to Benn, google it for directions). It is a great stop! Now you are in Bennington so you can just go north to Manchester. There is some congestion in Bennington center but at this point in time, it should be simmered down.

I'll give you the Dorset loops tomorrow. It is an enclosed scenic route into the Hollows. Go on google maps and trace what I just wrote and let me know what you think. I'm not sure you want to waste time on the Mohawk Trail. It's long and tedious and probably past peak. I will think of some lakes or ponds but I'm more into dirt back roads and long view vistas, farms, etc.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:37 am

hi Gopal, there are two lakes/ponds you might want to check out if you are coming up route 7 or 7A Sunday per my previous post. A friend of mine from the forum who lived in North Bennington often suggested Lake Shaftsbury for color but I never got there. I also would say that Equinox Pond in the Equinox Preservation Trust is a must do. It is gorgeous and there is a trail to walk around the pond if you have time. There is also the Arlington Covered Bridge and the bridges in Bennington which I will provide a link for. If you are indeed going to Dorset Sunday, do not miss the Dorset Farmers Market which moved inside next door now. It is one of the best in the state! I have been several times and it is local with a fantastic vibe with great music, food, crafts and excellent produce. I will give you the Dorset loops in another post. If you are hungry when you get to Bennington, stop at the Blue Benn Diner for amazing breakfasts! I hope you can start out early! I know this is a lot but pack it in while you can!!! :lol:

https://www.vtstateparks.com/shaftsbury.html

https://www.equinoxpreservationtrust.or ... criptions/

https://www.bennington.com/coveredbridges/

https://www.dorsetfarmersmarket.com/

https://www.bluebenn.com/

GopalM

Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:59 am

ctyanky wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:45 pm
Hi Gopal, if I were coming from Boston, take the pike west to scenic route NY22 north. It is really lovely with farms and pastures. It will circumvent Pittsfield (lots of traffic congestion). Get off at exit for Hancock on route 43 east and go past Jiminy Peak on Brodie Mountain Road to route 7 north. The ride up to Williamstown is gorgeous with mountain views to the east and north. The town is lovely (Williams College is picture perfect). As you enter Pownal on 7, bear left on 346. Take Cedar Hill to Quarry Hill Road to the North Pownal Road. Turn right on North Pownal and left on Carpenter Hill Road. Travel north on Carpenter Hill Road. This is a dirt road ascending into higher elevation with great views at the pullouts at the summit apple orchards. (tons of them). At the top of Carpenter Hill Road the views of the valley and mountains are outstanding with the Bennington Monument in the distance. Can't be beat!!! A former forum member who recently moved to NH, told me about Carpenter Hill years ago and we always enter Bennington this way. (Stop at the Apple Barn on the way up to Benn, google it for directions). It is a great stop! Now you are in Bennington so you can just go north to Manchester. There is some congestion in Bennington center but at this point in time, it should be simmered down.

I'll give you the Dorset loops tomorrow. It is an enclosed scenic route into the Hollows. Go on google maps and trace what I just wrote and let me know what you think. I'm not sure you want to waste time on the Mohawk Trail. It's long and tedious and probably past peak. I will think of some lakes or ponds but I'm more into dirt back roads and long view vistas, farms, etc.
Wow! This is such a wealth of information. Thank you so much.🙏

GopalM

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 am

ctyanky wrote:
hi Gopal, there are two lakes/ponds you might want to check out if you are coming up route 7 or 7A Sunday per my previous post. A friend of mine from the forum who lived in North Bennington often suggested Lake Shaftsbury for color but I never got there. I also would say that Equinox Pond in the Equinox Preservation Trust is a must do. It is gorgeous and there is a trail to walk around the pond if you have time. There is also the Arlington Covered Bridge and the bridges in Bennington which I will provide a link for. If you are indeed going to Dorset Sunday, do not miss the Dorset Farmers Market which moved inside next door now. It is one of the best in the state! I have been several times and it is local with a fantastic vibe with great music, food, crafts and excellent produce. I will give you the Dorset loops in another post. If you are hungry when you get to Bennington, stop at the Blue Benn Diner for amazing breakfasts! I hope you can start out early! I know this is a lot but pack it in while you can!!! :lol:

I don’t have proper words to thank you enough for providing such a treasure of information. I think in this trip we will do Wallingford,VT to Bennington,VT stopping along the way on the scenic spots you suggested. Dorset Farmers sounds like a perfect fall activity to do.Not sure if we will be able to do it this time as we are coming only for a day trip. Maybe next year we can come for a week long vacation in VT in fall. Again I am deeply grateful for taking out time to share this detailed information. Thank you so much.🙏

GopalM

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 am

ctyanky wrote:

If you don’t mind can I share all this information in a Vermont foliage Facebook group. Of course I will give due credit to you and this forum and mention that this information is coming from you. I saw some posts on group by people looking for recommendations for places to visit this weekend in VT for fall foliage. Information you shared will be greatly helpful to them as well.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:46 am

Hey, It would be beneficial to Tim and SOV, that this information stay on our SOV foliage forum, although it is obvious I can't control that! Once it's out there it's for the world to see. :mrgreen: I've even seen my screen name linked to various sites for referral back to this forum. I've been quoted on several VT newspapers but they just reference SOV as a link. Tim, our admin and board owner, and I, work hard to keep the forum active during the fall season, so a simple "referral" to the SOV foliage forum for this and futher information would be perfectly adequate. They could even sign up as new members and ask questions of their own! I do have access to all the current facebook groups so a simple link to this site would be much appreciated. I don't need any recognition. As Tim's board admin, I'm active here on Tim's behalf, and of course, my own passion for Scenes of Vermont.

But thank you for the compliment!!!! Hope your trip to Vermont goes ahead as planned and do let me know if you go to Dorset. I'll include the loops as previously mentioned.

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:52 am

PS I forgot to add Emerald Lake State Park, north of Manchester on route 7, for a great stop!!!