Need info on Owl’s Head Trail

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

GopalM

Need info on Owl’s Head Trail

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:58 am

Hi Everyone,

While searching for trails to hike, I came across this breathtaking overlook/summit named Owl’s Head in Groton State Forest. Seems like there are two trail leading up to this summit, the longer 3 miles one and the shorter 15 minutes one. Can someone please give me the directions and address to the shorter 15 minutes one trail. I read that it is near some parking area. What is the name of the road on which this trail is? Is there any exact address? How to find it? Thanking in advance.🙏

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Need info on Owl’s Head Trail

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:23 am

Hi Gopal, welcome to the forum! I've only done the longer ascent up to the overlook 3 times. I know there is a shorter hike. Here is a map and great info!

https://www.trailfinder.info/trails/tra ... d-mountain
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

GopalM

Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 pm

ctyanky wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:23 am
Hi Gopal, welcome to the forum! I've only done the longer ascent up to the overlook 3 times. I know there is a shorter hike. Here is a map and great info!

https://www.trailfinder.info/trails/tra ... d-mountain
Thank you Ctyanky, for sharing the link. This is very helpful.

Andy

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:30 am

Glopal: If I am not too late, the short trail is right at the top of the parking lot. It is about a 1 mile drive up from 232 and the entrance is well marked. It doesn't open until at least 8:00, and depending on the day and time of day it can be hard to find parking, but once you do, it is a very short walk and well marked to the trailhead. I have done it multiple times with never a problem finding it. It can be a bit steep in places, but the trail is well maintained. Good luck.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .