NEK Question

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

EmK

NEK Question

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm

Is the CCC road in Groton SF open for car traffic during the fall, or just for hiking or bikes?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: NEK Question

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:08 pm

Hi Emk: are you referring to 232 the forest road build by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s? They built that road by hand and it goes from route 2 to 302. If so, it is open for cars.

Found this piece of info on the web........

The Civilian Conservation Corps. (CCC), a government work program during the Great Depression of the 1930’s was instrumental in park and campground development in Groton State Forest. The main forest road (Route 232) was started by the CCC.

Great video!

https://www.mychamplainvalley.com/ask-t ... te-forest/

“Another thing that the CCC did right here in Groton was to build the road. The State Forest Road goes from Route 2 to Route 302 right through the middle of the forest. There was no road here."
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

EmK

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 pm

I'm sorry, CTyanky, my mistake. It's the Willoughby SF, not the Groton SF... I have too many forest maps open on my laptop and I'm getting them confused!
The map shows "CCC Road" at the southern end of the lake. I've read some reviews that seem to suggest it's now a hiking trail and maybe for bicycles.

Thanks for your help!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:30 pm

Ahhhh, now that makes perfect sense! I've been up there by car many times but maybe they changed it this year. Maybe just go there and check it out because the views at the pullout at the top are magnificent! I haven't heard anything about not letting cars up the CCC road.

Don't feel bad about getting confused. There are soooo many forest roads, ccc roads and class 4 roads, it can indeed be overwhelming! Have a great time! CT

EmK

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:34 pm

Thank you!!!! We will give it a go when we're up there (mid-week) and see what we see. That was a great video on the CCC in Groton SF.
Thanks again.

Andy

Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:51 pm

This may be too late, but it is open, but is a class 4 road and is narrow, rutted in places, and had some rocks. I was up there today. If you have a high clearance truck or suv, you will be fine. Wouldn't attempt it in a regular vehicle
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .