NEK-Need Recs on Places to Visit

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Nhtom1160

NEK-Need Recs on Places to Visit

Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:55 pm

I live in So. NH and always end up visiting Central and Southern VT in the fall. As for NEK, I've only been up to Derby and Troy. Coming from Southern NH, what would be some good towns to hit right now in NEK showing good color that are especially scenic. Thanks

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: NEK-Need Recs on Places to Visit

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi Tom, welcome to the SOV foliage forum. If you scroll down a bit, you will see that Ed M. was up in the upper tiers of the NEK yesterday and stated that along the border the colors were full peak. I'm sure he will be on later to put up a third report. If I were you and you were going up soon, head to Lake Willoughby, Island Pond and up to Norton and Averill and follow his trail. He is also an incredible photographer! He has the best information here at the moment so do stay tuned!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

edmcguirk

Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Tom, color north and northeast of Saint Johnsbury is 80% to 100% of peak. Scenic locations include Jobs Pond, Newark Pond, Lake Willoughby, Island Pond, Averill Lake, Forest Lake, all in the NEK. Rt. 114 is a particular scenic drive, that takes you near many of these locations.

A little further south, the Groton State Forest / Marshfield area is about 70% to 85% peak. Good locations there include Kettle Pond, Ricker Pond, Seyon Pond and Owls Head. These are all off Rt. 232. The drive on RT. 2 from Saint Johnsbury to Marshfield is also very scenic. Also nearby is the town of Peacham, VT, hich is very beautiful, with a number of nice views

If you want really detailed information, I highly recommend buying Andy Richards ebook on Vermont photo scenes. There is a sticky thread for this at the top of the SOV foliage forum.

Andy

Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:45 pm

I have spent that past several days in NEK. Color is less developed in Peacham, but as you go up in Elevation, it gets better. Mack's Mountain Road between Peacham and Danville is very good, with lots of reds and oranges and yellows (I won't comment on percentage of "peak" because I don't consider "peak" a very useful term :-)

There is good color on Darling Hill and Pudding Hill Roads in Burke. These are in addition to the other places recommended, like Island Pond, Willoughby, etc.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

EmK

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:58 pm

10/6/21 L. willoughby South Beach has pretty color, right from road facing Mt. Hor. CTyanky, yes, you can drive up CCC road. Limited parking spots, but we hiked up Mt. Hor, to the north and east vistas of L. Willoughby. Then drove to Lewis Pond Overlook. Prettiest leaves of the day were in that area on Four Mile and Lewis Pond Rd. Arrived late afternoon and underestimated the time to drive on those roads, no gps…. Actually worried we were on the right roads… fortunately, a local couple w/ a camp nearby, led us back to 105 just before dusk I am not a pro photographer, and don’t have a way to upload camera photos right now on this trip, but I’ll try to upload some iPhone pics, from 10/6.

10/7: beautiful color on the road to Hazel Pass- don’t know the route number, but it’s unpaved road that is closed in winter, on a map.
Attachments
E6FD6ADA-85E8-4535-8327-CDAED686D6EE.jpeg
19B6F375-C070-4F85-AC05-A6DC0D5CD277.jpeg
83850AF3-C79D-4CBB-BD3F-59E3B5957443.jpeg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 am

Hi Emk: So glad you made it to the Lewis Pond Overlook! Been 3 times and it has never disappointed! I can understand why you were concerned about getting out of there before dusk so I'm glad you found your way out. It's better to get there early afternoon as it is a LONG road in and out! Love that place! The Hazens Notch Road is route 58 if that is the one you are thinking of. Was the old sugarhouse still there on 58?

Great pics! :D

EmK

Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Oooh, CTyanky, is that was that was - a sugarhouse?! We passed a building and noticed blue lines/hoses/tubing running along the trees by the road, and then saw workers laying more length of tubing. We had no idea what it was...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:53 pm

That would be it Emk!!! :lol: