State of color

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: State of color

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:34 am

Hi Green, welcome to the forum! Sounds like a nice trip there! Thank you for the report. Route 17 has always been a favorite of mine. The Lincoln area is gorgeous!

We are looking to head back to VT this Sunday if the weather is ok and will be in the southern tier and up to Manchester. CT

loafer89

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 am

I'm heading up to Mount Equinox with my son today. I'll report back on foliage conditions.

loafer89

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:54 pm

I just got back from Mount Equinox, unfortunately the sunny weather turned into solid overcast around Wilmington. Peak foliage color along Route 112 and Route 9 between the Junction with Route 112 and the Searsburg Reservoir. After that it's about 25% bare until Bennington, after which Route 7 is Peak from Bennington to Arlington. Mount Equinox has nice foliage at the lower elevations, but bare just before the fir tree Alpine zone. I didn't take any pictures because of the overcast conditions and low lighting levels.

The foliage along Route 7 should last past this weekend, but rain and wind is forecast for Saturday, probably strpping away alot of the leaves.

Andy

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:27 am

Green45 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:59 pm
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and just returned home from a trip to Vermont visiting my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. We were in the Waitsfield/Mt Ellen area from Sept 20 to Oct 5 and then in Huntington until Oct 9. The color around Mt Ellen on Oct 5 was pretty good and in Huntington it was about 50%. The colors in Huntington were not as good as last year. Last year there were a lot of reds, yellows, and oranges, and this year there was a lot of rust color. The yellows didn't get very yellow and browned and fell quickly. I also noticed a lot of rust color around Mt Ellen. Maybe it was the light as we didn't have many sunny days when we were in that area.

The drive on route 17 from Mt Ellen through App Gap to Gore Rd was great for color. It should be peak or past peak now. We also drove on some back roads around Lincoln, and that area was about 50% then and probably near peak now.
Hi Green45: We observed a lot of these conditions in certain areas, while in others, the color was spectacular. I think Tim's post from the State Forest Commissioner on another thread here helps explain that. He notes warm weather, but also insect and other damage to the trees, which seems to have been persistent, but fortunately not widespread. What I love about Vermont is that usually you can drive and find color somewhere, :-)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Green45

Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:16 pm

Andy,
I want to thank you and Carol for your book on photographing the foliage. It was very helpful during our recent trip. In the late 70s I used Arnold Kaplan's pamphlet when I first visited Vermont, and I didn't visit the northern part of the state. I'm glad to see that your book covers the entire state. Thanks again.

Gary