Chester VT Town Forest 9/19 - Great dirt backroad loop/Chester Reservoir

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Chester VT Town Forest 9/19 - Great dirt backroad loop/Chester Reservoir

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:30 pm

For those of you who like to tool around the dirt back roads of Vermont, I have a nice loop for you in Southern VT, Chester. After the festival today, I had a small loop planned which turned out to be not so small. :P To my ever patient driver who listens to "don't turn there, turn here, oops turn around, the map says it was supposed to be there" I thank him. :)

Some parts were off cell service, so I had my trusty dog earred Jimapco! Anyways, in Chester town, turn west on route 11 and take a right about 1 1/2 miles down the road on Reservoir Road. It is 100% dirt road, somewhat narrow at times and thankfully we were the only ones on it today. It is a lovely, dense forest with tree canopies throughout. For a close up view of the very small Chester Reservoir, turn on the dead end road called Waterfarm Road. This small body of water will be beautiful in full foliage. There was a fisherman there and it made for a lovely scene. Back tracking to Reservoir Road we had a leisurely drive up Butternut Hill. Didn't realize how high up it was until our descent. The loop bends right on Lovers Lane (the sign appeared hand made and SMALL, take note!) There are a few other turnoffs so stay on Lovers Lane. It takes you right back to 11.

This will be a nice drive in peak time if you like a narrow, dirt road (not class 4, don't worry). :shock:

I love to take different, unknown back roads while in Vermont to scout out for fall trips. The tiny Chester Reservoir is a gem! Hope you can check it out!!!

CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot