Swamp Maples Showing Bright Reds

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Swamp Maples Showing Bright Reds

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi all, took some back roads in northern CT today, and the swamp maples are popping out with strong color. One was so bright, I had to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road! I suddenly became euphoric! :lol: I couldn't stop smiling. The excitement is building!

I think I just might start putting out the fall décor and getting the mums on the stoop. The farm stands are beginning to stock up with pumpkins and mums and the ag fairs are in full swing. We have had some gorgeous weather with cool nights and sunshiny days. A whole stretch of amazing weather is on the way for New England and it is starting to smell like fall in the evenings and early mornings. It feels great to have the windows open at night and let the AC's have a rest!

With all the rain we have had, the swamp maples will most likely put on a great show this year. Anyone else notice them around your area yet? It is always the first harbinger of autumn and I can't wait for the show to begin!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

edmcguirk

Re: Swamp Maples Showing Bright Reds

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:07 am

ctyanky, great reminder for those of us who just can't wait until October. I went out for a walk yesterday with my wife, and we hiked past a small beaver pond that already had a few swamp maples that were red. The weather forecast for tomorrow is for rain, and with wet leaves the colors of turned swamp maples should be nice. So I'm planning on going out tomorrow to try to capture my first photograph of Autumn Color 2021 !!!

Last year I found a few wetland areas that might already have some turned swamp maples, so thanks to your reminder, it's time to start checking them out. Fall color is so fleeting, so there is no harm in trying to get in the autumn mood a little early.

bobbav

Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:59 pm

Today, as I was leaving our home in Woodbury CT, I saw many leaves falling (!). Our yard appears to have more and more each day, although they are still green. Appears that the 'process' most definitely has begun!

Last year, around September 18, I was at the Bethlehem CT Flea Market - you NEED to experience this indoor....MASSIVE flea market (www.bethlehemctfleamarket.com), and I could not believe the color there. It resembled 'peak' already in some areas, and it extended through Woodbury, Southbury, and Oxford.

With the way the weather has been progressing lately, I am sure the same will apply this year. Plus, it is a breathtaking ride through this area.
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi Bob, I never heard of the Bethlehem Flea Market but will check it out. If it is the same time as the Chester Fall Festival in Vermont next weekend I may not be able to go.

If you have a moment, can you give me some road numbers or street names for the drives thru Woodbury and Oxford? The NH guys from this forum are coming in mid October sometime and I need some more drives. I have the Lake Waramaug loop in mind but have nothing in Woodbury/Southbury. We are starting in the NW corner and going down route 7 to Kent and the Cornwalls. Would like to loop down to your area!

Keep me posted on your color!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:03 am

This morning was 49 when I got up and it is FALL OUTSIDE! 🍁🍁🍁 Can't wait to spend the day tooling around back roads before we get back into the 80's next week.🎃🎃🎃

bobbav

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 am

ctyanky wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:48 pm
Hi Bob, I never heard of the Bethlehem Flea Market but will check it out. If it is the same time as the Chester Fall Festival in Vermont next weekend I may not be able to go.

If you have a moment, can you give me some road numbers or street names for the drives thru Woodbury and Oxford? The NH guys from this forum are coming in mid October sometime and I need some more drives. I have the Lake Waramaug loop in mind but have nothing in Woodbury/Southbury. We are starting in the NW corner and going down route 7 to Kent and the Cornwalls. Would like to loop down to your area!

Keep me posted on your color!
Hi CT.

A few routes to consider span the towns of Oxford, Southbury, Woodbury, Bethlehem, Washington, and Roxbury

You will pass many open meadows, barns/farms, and beautiful vistas

Route 6 from Oxford through Woodbury, leading to Route 61 (Bethlehem Rd)

Route 61 will lead to March Farm in Bethlehem. You can also take Route 132 from 61 and still get to March Farm, but Route 132 will lead to Route 109 (Old Litchfied Rd) which is very scenic

Old Litchfield Rd winds through Washington (consider stopping for a glass of wine at the G.W. Tavern (my Wife and I had our first date there in 2016 and then married there in 2018), or some of the other cafes in Washington Village. Very quaint town

Route 109 from Washington leads to Route 199 (Roxbury Rd). Very scenic drive

Route 199 connects again to Route 67, which will connect to Route 317. On Route 317, you will pass the Woodbury/Roxbury ‘International Airport’, which is a large field where a local pilot can often be seen taking-off and landing his various planes. Many people gather there at sunset to view the spectacular views

Route 317 winds down and eventually leads back to Main St in Woodbury on Route 6. You’d be passing by our street on your way down!

I would suggest using Waze in ‘map mode’ so you can see the Routes as you traverse the area.

Hope this helps a bit.
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Hey Bob, thank you! Route 199, 67 and 109 are some of my favorites. I'll try to create some kind of loop down there after we leave Lake Waramaug. This is a scouting trip for my NH forum friend who is coming here to CT next week (in his corvette I might add :lol: ) so we can narrow down the October tour for the two of them from our forum, for foliage. I've been to Washington Depot several times, most recently for the ever amazing Green Fair on the green of course, which gets bigger and better every year. There is a small cafe across from the green I want to check out. Normally, we eat at the Warren General Store in the NW corner.

Keep me posted on the color show as it begins so I have some idea how to move forward with my tours. I have 3 scheduled in total!

I passed by a stand of swamp maples in Bloomfield and there were about 15 maples almost 75% full color, and BRIGHT! This is their year for sure. I'm going to see if it is private land or not to take some photos. I have to be careful on that road, big deer crossing area.

Oh btw, I have done several hikes in the Roxbury Land Trust! They are one heck of an organized group!

CT

bobbav

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:27 am

How coincidental! I too recently bought a convertible Corvette! Definitely don’t plan to take it to Vermont as it’s essentially a ‘one day per month’ toy (LOL).

And as for the dear….Oh Dear! We have a family of 5 that roams our property, and recently had a returning black bear roaming around our home. Need to keep the dog on a short leash for sure!

Looking forward to more Vermont updates!
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:14 am

Yeah, pretty excited to go "cruisin" as he calls it in the vette. Better yet, being on the back roads in the NW hills in CT is amazing!

I planted a starter red maple tree in a pot, and the leaves turned a bright red! So excited to see the change in such a tiny plant. I hope this is the forebearer for our maple trees this year. 8)