Upcoming VT Hikes From My Bucket List!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Upcoming VT Hikes From My Bucket List!

Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:28 pm

I compiled my list for some upcoming hikes in southern Vermont for our late spring/summer/early September day trips! Until then, we are hiking around NW CT and getting in shape for some of the Vermont hikes that I have on my bucket list! I'm in the moderate range as far as difficulty and no more rock scrambling for me!!! :shock: I'm a little concerned about Lye Brook Falls but will give it a go......

If you have been on these trails, opinions or advice are welcomed as always! :D

Prospect Rock, Manchester

This trail follows old Rootville Road up along Downer Glen Ravine. It winds along a mountain brook before departing into birch-beech forest on a wide and open logging path. The trail crisscrosses the Appalachian and Long Trails at approximately 1.7 miles (same road) before a spur trail on the right leads to Prospect Rock. The overlook offers a gorgeous view of the Manchester Valley with Mount Equinox to the west. 3.5 miles round trip. Follow the blue blazes.

From Route 7A in Manchester, travel a ¼ mile east on Route 11/30 to East Manchester Road. Turn right just past Raven’s Den. At the 3-way stop, drive straight onto Rootville Road and follow for about a mile to parking just before the water tower.

Lye Brook Falls, Manchester

This trail follows Lye Brook up a steady gradual slope. You’ll find easy going, dog-friendly walking for a couple of miles to a spur trail on the right that leads to the falls. At 125 feet, it rushes in the spring, and is one of the tallest in Vermont. Along the way, watch for industrial relics. Traces of old railroad beds, and the footprints of kilns and sawmills from more than a century ago. A little history and gorgeous scenery. 4.6 miles round trip. Follow the blue blazes.

From Route 7A in Manchester, travel east on Depot Street (Routes 11/30) for a 1/2 mile, turning right on Richville Road, just past Vineyard Vines and Brooks Brothers. At the local Post Office, turn left on East Manchester Road and cross beneath Route 7. After the underpass, turn right on the Lye Brook Falls Access Road and follow to the end. Trail access is at the far end of the parking lot.

Haystack Mountain Trail, Wilmington

Length: 4.8 miles round trip
Feature: Mountain, Views
Max elevation change:  1020 feet
USGS maps: Mount Snow Quad
Amount of use: Moderate
Hiking level: Moderate
Average hike time: 3 – 4 hours round trip

The trail, marked with blue blazes, follows an old gated road on a steady moderate incline to Binney Brook ravine.  Turning southwest (left) at about 0.5 miles, the trail then begins to climb steeply to the west ridge of Haystack Mountain.  This section of trail is mainly a snowmobile trail, so look for and follow the orange snowmobile signs.  The trail makes a few turns leading through different forest types until reaching the summit trail junction.  Turn right and follow the blue blazes again, making a few more turns until the trail reaches the summit. From the partially wooded summit some views include Haystack Pond and Mt. Pisgah (Mt. Snow) to the north, Harriman Reservoir to the south, and large windmills to the southwest.  The summit, from different locations, also has many great views of bordering mountains. 

From the Route 100 (traffic light) in Wilmington, take Route 9 west for about 1.1 miles. Turn north (right) onto Haystack Road;

From Route 7 in Bennington, take Rte 9 east for about 20.8 miles (5.8 miles pass the junction of Route 8 and turn north (left) onto Haystack Road - Follow Haystack Road into Chimney Hills Development.  Take the second left onto Chimney Hill Rd. at a staggered four-way junction.  At the next junction, turn right onto Binney Brook Rd. and begin a steep and winding climb past several intersecting roads of the Chimney Hills development.  At the stop sign at the end of Binney Brook Road, turn right on to Upper Dam Road, then bear left at the next intersection. The trailhead which is marked with a USFS sign, will be on the right.  There is no dedicated parking lot for this trailhead; limited roadside parking is available in the vicinity.

Mt. Tom via Faulkner Trail, Woodstock

We attempted this hike a couple of summers ago but it started raining so we ended up on the Amity Pond Natural Area in Pomfret (thanks to Minnesotaman on this forum) which was absolutely DIVINE! So I am inserting the trail link and detailed history/description below:

https://www.vtstateparks.com/assets/pdf ... nd_map.pdf

Mt Tom:

https://www.nps.gov/mabi/planyourvisit/ ... -Trail.pdf

https://www.nps.gov/mabi/planyourvisit/ ... -trail.htm

Pinnacle Mountain Loop, Newfane

We also enjoyed Putney Mountain Trail to the summit which was one of my favorites and part of the Windmill Hill Pinnacle Association!

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/708 ... ntain-loop

http://windmillhillpinnacle.org/index.html
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot