Connecticut Fall Foliage 2020

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

loafer89

Re: Connecticut Fall Foliage 2020

Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:12 pm

The Canann shot is from Route 44 and was difficult to get with all the high speed traffic. I was going to take Riga Road from Salisbury, but I didn't have the patience to deal with that and with the drought, the road is probably very dusty. That area was busy today with lots of tourists.

Going north into Suffield on Route 41, the foliage started going bare, so I didn't go past that point. Heading South, Cornwall Bridge was surprisingly uncrowded. I took River Road along the Housatonic River, but the foliage was past peak.

As far as Barkhamsted Reservoir is concerned, Route 20 from 20/8 to Heartland isn't good, lots of bare trees. Route 318 is okay, but that area is mostly Oak and Pine. The non Oak is at peak. Route 219 is beautiful and at peak. For some reason, the southern half is better. They are rebuilding Route 179 towards Ski Sundown with the intersection of 318, so you can't go that way.

Here in Enfield the foliage color is rapidly developing, but with some trees thinking it's still Summer. I'd say it's about 40% in places. I'll go around on Thursday and take some pictures.

bobbav

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi Loafer and nice to 'hear' from you again, CT!

So, I just drove through Oxford and Southbury today. I must say that the colors - and I am not exaggerating - were at or very close to peak in many areas. I definitely think over the next few days with the rainy, cool weather, this area will peak. Two weeks ago, I drove through Bethlehem (I live in Woodbury), and even then, the colors were changing.

I am heading to Brandon VT this weekend to an overnight at The Lilac Inn. We will make our ritual stop in Weston to visit the Vermont Country Store, Village Christmas Shoppe and General store (in which the two are owned by husband and wife!).

I am hoping the colors in Southern VT and Brandon are better than they were a week ago in Woodstock and Queeche!

Stay safe, Everyone.

Bob
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

loafer89

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:38 pm

bobbav wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:00 pm
Hi Loafer and nice to 'hear' from you again, CT!

So, I just drove through Oxford and Southbury today. I must say that the colors - and I am not exaggerating - were at or very close to peak in many areas. I definitely think over the next few days with the rainy, cool weather, this area will peak. Two weeks ago, I drove through Bethlehem (I live in Woodbury), and even then, the colors were changing.

I am heading to Brandon VT this weekend to an overnight at The Lilac Inn. We will make our ritual stop in Weston to visit the Vermont Country Store, Village Christmas Shoppe and General store (in which the two are owned by husband and wife!).

I am hoping the colors in Southern VT and Brandon are better than they were a week ago in Woodstock and Queeche!

Stay safe, Everyone.

Bob
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Vermont currently does not allow any visitors from Connecticut to stay in Vermont without a 14 day quarantine. This applies to all counties in the state of Connecticut.

Just a heads up.

bobbav

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:45 am

Yes...I checked in on this with the B&B. While they are following all guidelines, my wife and I have recent negative COVID results after being tested recently. We were advised to bring them, and was informed that we shouldn't have any issues. We'll see!
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

loafer89

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm still going to Meshomastic Forest tommorow. Over 2" of rain here today, hopefully the foliage survived the rain in that part of Connecticut.

loafer89

Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:31 pm

I decided to go back to Northwestern Connecticut today, it's still at peak after the rain yesterday.

Canann
Attachments
IMG_20201014_23845.jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Oh my gosh! Connecticut is exploding in color! The recent rains and stellar sunshine popped out the colors even more today! Loafer, I did some of the roads you mentioned. The only caveat was that Barkhamsted Reservoir is still early but the colors are emerging, it won't be ready until this weekend. Saw all the construction! Route 219, route 179, 189, Beach Rock Road out of the reservoir amazing. These towns were New Hartford, Barkhamsted, Hartland, East Hartland, Granby, Simsbury, Canton. Mountain Road at the intersection of Silkey Road in Granby was gorgeous! Almost peak! Also, I redid route 20 over the top of CT and it was peak! When I did it last week, I had second thoughts about going back, but glad I did. I met a nice lady doing trail work at the Tunxis Forest trailhead pull out and she agreed the color is crazy beautiful in CT now! She gave me a couple of back roads off 20 but I didn't have time but will mark them on my Delorme.

Right now, it seems like northern, western and parts of the Conn. River Valley are peaking and we had very little leaf drop from the rains.

Loafer, I need to get back up to NW corner, probably tomorrow. Is the southern part of route 44 in Canaan peaking in the mountain range or did you not get to East Canaan or North Canaan? I'm going to take route 44 out all the way and head down to Salisbury and Lakeville and over to Goshen.

So much to see it can get overwhelming! Color should be great in Kent, the Cornwalls, Sherman, Washington, Morris, Bethlehem, Roxbury, Bridgewater and New Milford this coming weekend. The drive around Lake Waramaug is an absolute must! After this, I will be heading to NE CT and in a couple of weeks I'll be touring the gold coast of CT and Essex. The back roads of Fairfield County are stunning!

By the end of the season, I'll be ready for winter! And rest! :lol:

loafer89

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:55 pm

I traveled on the same routes as last Sunday, but I did the trip with my son and his girlfriend. We diverted a bit to Campbell's Falls State Park area, just across the border into Massachusetts.

Some really scenic long distance views from that area reminds me of Vermont. Outside Salisbury, we drove up Riga Road all the way to Route 41 in Massachusetts. It's peak there.
Attachments
IMG_20201014_38935.jpg
IMG_20201014_55191.jpg
Last edited by loafer89 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loafer89

Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm

We took Route 63 to Mohawk Mountain and it's still nice, if a bit past peak. Mohawk Mohawk State Park is still pretty, but I didn't take any pictures.
Attachments
IMG_20201014_16694.jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Loafer, I love Riga Road. But I think it is really sketchy in a lot of places. I prefer to go on it with a truck. We were there a couple of months ago and there are 4 trailheads we took note of. Bald Mountain and another on the left, and the AT and the two trailheads to Bear Mountain. It is a lovely road, but reallllly long. The first time we did that road many years ago, the truck hardly made it around the ruts and washouts in the beginning. I think they must have done more work on it. I assume it is closed in winter? Also, we hiked to Campbell Falls this summer on the long end, it was not pleasant. So much mud. Then we found out we could have parked right above the falls on the more northerly road, maybe it was Campbell Falls Road!!!! :roll: We went after a heavy rain and they were at their finest. Bash Bish Falls remains my favorite in that area but I won't do the hike down to the falls again. It was treacherous. We'll come in from the NY side and walk to the falls on the road next time there is a heavy rain for a couple of days! CT

Where is that lake/pond shot?

loafer89

Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:51 pm

The water picture is South Pond along Riga Road. I've driven that route many times before, but mostly in the Summer. I did the hike up Bear Mountain and Mt Frisell, but many years ago. I have a Volvo XC70, so it's a rough ride, but nothing too unpleasant. The rain yesterday, meant no dust.

I like long distance views, tall mountains.and rural backcountry roads. Northwestern Connecticut fits the bill. My part of the state, doesn't have too much of that.

My name is Kevin by the way.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:56 am

Kevin/anyone in the area, I forgot to mention that if you are out in the Avon/Simsbury area, take NOD Road from west to east in the afternoon, so that you end up on 44. Talcott Mountain is almost peak and gorgeous and it is an afternoon shot, sometime after 1:00 p.m. The Hublein Tower stands at the summit and the photography is picture perfect! The Farmington River will be on your right. Don't be alarmed if you hear shooting, the State Police Shooting Range is on that road. I drove it back and forth yesterday and decided the best photo ops are from the Simsbury end to route 44 because the pullouts are easier on the road that way. The colors are really strong! The hike up to the tower is easy to moderate and the views of the Farmington Valley below are simply outstanding!!!!!! :D

I agree with your thoughts on the Northwest corner of the state, I'm there so much I feel like part of the community. It is so rural with so many hidden back roads and vistas, farms and gorgeous colonial homes. I have to rely on my Delorme sometimes or I will get lost in some of the more remote areas. :mrgreen:

loafer89

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:02 pm

I did the drive to Meshomastic Forest today and the foliage color in the forest was drab and past peak. There was some nice color along I-91 from Enfield down to Hartford and along Route 2 to Glastonbury. I drove home through Glastonbury, Andover, Coventry, Vernon, Ellington and back to Enfield. Overall really poor foliage conditions with 20-30% bare trees, some places are closer to 60% bare.

The severe drought combined with the wind and rain events of late, made for poor foliage conditions in Northeastern Connecticut. Here in Enfield there are some spots of beautiful color. The drought wasn't as severe here in Enfield and the trees aren't as stressed. It's by no means beautiful, but just average.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Kevin, thanks for the report. I guess I will skip the NE corner for now. I had my hopes set on touring the back roads near UCONN. The rains are really popping out the colors today but we need this rainfall to make a dent in our drought. I am combining a hiking trip Sunday in the western part of the state with some foliage tours around the hills and ranges in Sharon and Sherman and a drive around Lake Waramaug. I did not get to the NW corner yesterday as expected because I am waiting to hear from the forester at Haystack Mountain in Norfolk for a color report before we climb up to the tower. He was spot on last year. If anyone is interested, the 360 views at the top of the tower are fabulous, the Canaan valley below with beautiful farms, and on a clear day you can see 3 other states. Take route 272 north out of Norfolk and you will see the signs; just beyond that is Campbell Falls which should be flowing after this day of heavy rain. If you take 272 south out of Norfolk, you will be on a scenic road and it goes past many ponds and reservoirs. That road should be lit up by now. There have been moose on 272 so be on the lookout!

Just relaxing this rainy day and waiting for another stellar fall (and cold - heard there may be some snow in the higher elevations up north? snowliage????) weekend to arrive to continue tooling around western CT and chase the color wherever it may be! BTW, Barkhamsted has another few days till peak but next week should be excellent. Plenty of places to park!!! The surrounding area is in peak as well.

Kevin: just a side note on Riga Road. I didn't know the public had access to South Pond! I thought it was private.
CT

loafer89

Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Lots of rain here today and 4.5" of rain this week. I don't know how the foliage is making it through this event. I'm going to drive around town tomorrow. Not alot of wind.

South Pond didn't look like a private area, the road past the pond leads to a cemetery.