Patchy frost and 30s in the NEK this a.m., more 30s next week!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Patchy frost and 30s in the NEK this a.m., more 30s next week!

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 am

Whoa! Just checked the weather up there and it is cold! A few more 30's in the northern tiers next week; mostly lows in the 40s with a TON of sunshiny days. Perhaps an earlier start to autumn? This is how it began in "normal" falls so many years ago. Time will tell; we can still see a few warmer nights and days but it seems like once it starts like this, it just progresses quickly. My friend just got back from the NEK and said it was freezing up there!

It's 50 here in northern CT! (Not putting the heat on until October!) Get outside and enjoy this glorious autumn weekend weather! I might just get myself a pumpkin latte and a cider donut..... :mrgreen:

"Frost Advisory Remains in Effect For Portions Of Northeast Vermont This Morning
Temperatures have dropped into the lower to mid 30s this morning across northeastern Vermont. This has likely resulted in the development of frost across portions of Essex and Caledonia counties in Vermont." (National Weather Service).
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

From_the_NEK

Re: Patchy frost and 30s in the NEK this a.m., more 30s next week!

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am

Even colder this morning with frost coating the ground here in the Lyndonville area. Color is coming on quick, but hard to tell how good it will be this year as it is very dry.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi Tim, this morning was our coldest in northern CT as well. 44 degrees; I don't ever remember wearing a down vest this early and it is only mid September! Alas, Thursday is supposed to be 80 and then we are back down to early October temps! This weekend is looking pretty amazing!

Our DEEP (Dept of Energy and Environmental Protection) designates the northern tiers of our state in a "severe drought". No rain for the next 8 days..... I agree, not sure how this will affect the duration of the season, but it is at the moment, pushing out some brilliant sparklers in the higher elevations. During my recent hikes, the streams are dried up, the rivers (Housatonic, Farmington, etc.) are all very low, ponds are retracting several feet.

With occasional breezy/windy conditions, we are also on fire danger alerts. Not sure about up there but we all must remain vigilant in this respect.

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Freeze Warnings and Frost Advisories for much of the North Country Tonight National Weather Service

Temperatures will drop near to or below freezing overnight for much of the North Country. A Freeze Warning is in effect from midnight tonight until 8 AM Saturday for northern New York and the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Meanwhile, Frost Advisories are in effect for the rest of Vermont (except Grand Isle) for the same time period.

With conditions like this, in conjunction with all those bright sunny days, I wouldn't be surprised if some peak conditions appear towards the end of next week in parts of the NEK. My friend just got to the Jay area and sent me a picture of the top half of a hillside almost 50% turned.

I'm tending to agree with Tim's (our board owner) thoughts that peak could be a week early up in the northern tiers this season. Maybe two? :wink:

We are having our first frost in northern CT tonight, about 3 weeks earlier than "normal". 30's tonight - just can't believe it happened so fast! That's New England for ya! :mrgreen:

PS We need rain!!!!! :shock: