Fall Foliage and Vermont Life Magazine

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

KenHiker

Fall Foliage and Vermont Life Magazine

Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi.

At the start of September, I have a personal tradition of looking at past Autumn issues of the former magazine "Vermont Life".

Background:
I first came to Vermont while stationed in Groton, CT on a nuclear submarine (1971-1974).
A family I knew had a cabin near Putney, VT and they invited me to come up one weekend in October, 1974.
I went out on my own one day to see that part of Vermont, and made it to White Rocks area just south of Rutland.
When I returned from the trip, I became a subscriber to this magazine and was so for many years (my last issue is Autumn, 2001).
I ended up keeping most all of the Autumn issues.

Each Labor Day (or close thereafter), I start looking at my collection of these issues as a way of thinking about the coming season.

I looked on the Forum and did not see any topics like this, so I thought I'd see if this would be of interest to anyone.

My earliest issue is Autumn, 1974, and that's where I will start my comments.
Highlights from this issue include:
- One Room Schoolhouse
A beautiful picture on the front of the magazine shows the town of Newark, VT. One can see a church steeple a one-room school building, and beautiful mountains beyond.
There is an article inside that discusses the remaining VT one-room schools. It was very interesting and reminded me of a small school house in my home town of Corning, Kansas.
The picture (and those for the article) was taken by Clyde Smith, who made some wonderful photos for this magazine in previous and future years.
- Days of Grace
I have always loved this article for it's "peaceful" narrative and associated pictures.
It discusses the time between the last Fall colors and the first snow.
The article was written and photographed by John Vachon, who is the Dad of the Vermont Life editor (at the time), Brian Vachon.
From the article: "The afternoons begin to shrink, these days, and there seems less time for important things."

If you'd like to see and download a .pdf version of this edition of the magazine, go to this archive location:
https://archive.org/details/rbmsbk_ap2-v4_1974_V29N1

God Bless...

Andy

Re: Fall Foliage and Vermont Life Magazine

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Ken: Thanks for your nostalgic post. I began my oddysey in photography right around the time of your first issue (a couple years later - 1976), and one of my inspirations was Vermont Life Magazine. My very first mentor (I believe he posts here about once every 100 years :-) ), John Knox, was a frequent contributor. Getting published in Vermont Life was a huge accolade and difficult to do. Alas, it is not what it once was. I suppose a lot had to do with the digital age, but a few years back, I subsribed and was very disappointed. I guess you go where your readership takes you, but the emphasis on great photography and iconic "Vermont" scenes seemed to have been put aside for other things. I dropped the subscription. It was one of THE magazines for great photography and for great old school "Vermont."

Best,
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm

I believe Vermont Life went out of print in 2018 due to diminishing subscriptions and lack luster content (lots of advertising); it seemed like it was going downhill for their last few years. I still have many back fall issues. Another magazine, Vermont Magazine, is still going strong, but I stopped getting that a couple of years ago. They really focus on real "Vermont" stories and it is quite good. I just don't get magazines anymore......

Ken: thanks for popping in here with your sweet post. I hope you get to enjoy the colors in Georgia! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Andy

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Hey Ken: As a former Vermont Life subscriber, I wonder, are you also a photographer?
Andy

KenHiker

Re: Fall Foliage and Vermont Life Magazine - Photographer

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks all for your kind comments about this subject.
If you don't mind, as I complete my re-read of an issue I've kept, I'll post another review of that edition with a link to the pdf version in archives.

Re: Photographer
Andy - Thanks for asking.
I've had an interest in photography since I graduated from high school (06-03-1970).
I received an SLR film camera (Yashica TL) for graduation.
Went into the Navy on 09-09-1970 and was stationed in Groton, CT on a nuclear submarine.
I took lots of pictures from ports of call, hikes in CT, etc. That includes a visit to Vermont in October, 1974.
In those days, I took only Kodak Kodachrome slides. I'm slowly converting them into digital.
I started section-hiking the Appalachian Trail in the 90's, and have photographed each section I've completed (I'm currently at the Maryland border, mile point 1,025).
Hoping to finish one day now that I'm retired.
I moved to digital in 2002 and now use my Google Pixel 3 phone camera for photos and videos.
I take those and make movies of my hikes into a series on my YouTube channel (Ken Brenner).
In recent years, I've shown those movies to residents of local assisted living homes - they love them!
I've attached a picture of the Yashica camera. Doesn't work any more, still have the telephoto and wide-angle lenses.
Forgot how heavy it is.
Long answer, but I do love photography, and what I can do with it...
Attachments
Yashica TL Camera.jpg

KenHiker

Re: Fall Foliage and Vermont Life Magazine - Now Gone

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi CT.
I appreciate your comments.

RE: Magazine No Longer Published
Yes - I read that it had been experiencing a financial loss for several years, and the state legislature stopped funding it (even though they had sold advertising!).
I'm just glad that someone archived the magazines (with a few missing).
If interested, here's the archive location for Vermont Life:
https://archive.org/details/vermontlife ... ter&page=3
Just go down to the year and check the box for the year(s) wanted.

RE: Magazine Changed
Yes, I've seen that in other magazines.
They change from the original scope and purpose, and lose the dedicated subscribers.
I've seen that with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's (ATC) magazine.
It has deviated from a hiking AT magazine to one that is very disagreeable at times.
I've kept those back issues also, and enjoy looking at them from time to time.
Last edited by KenHiker on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi Ken, I just saw your YouTube Series on the AT! It is so extensive! Wow. I didn't realize you were a thru hiker! I hope you get to finish the AT at some point now that you are retired!

Just curious, you mentioned CT hikes. Do you remember which ones they were? I mostly hike in the extreme NW corner of CT and have done some hikes in the NE corner (aka Quiet Corner). Also, many in Vermont as well. If you can recall your CT hikes, I would be interested!

Hiking has become my new passion, it is so addictive! I go every weekend now to different land trusts and state hikes. It is perfectly awesome..... :D

CT

Andy

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 am

Hi Ken: Thanks for the reply. You have just a couple years on me (1975 graduation - serious photography, with my dad's Asahiflex in 1976) :-). That Yashica gave me a wave of nostalgia. My first was this one, just slighly before the Yashica's time:
Attachments
300px-Asahiflex_IIb_Model_I.jpg
300px-Asahiflex_IIb_Model_I.jpg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 22240 times
Andy

KenHiker

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi Andy and CT.

Andy -
Sounds nice.
Thanks for the reply and sharing.
That is a nice-looking camera!

CT -
I appreciate your kind comments.
I too am hoping to at least make it thru Mass.

As for CT blue trail hiking, some background and trails hiked.
I arrived at the sub base in Groton in September, 1971.
Last time there was November, 1974.
I purchased the 9th edition (1971) of the CT Walk Book.
In the years there, I hiked most of the southeast CT blue trails including:
1. Narragansett
2. Pequot
3. Pachaug (most of it)
I also did the AT up to the top of Bear Mountain.
I did it again in Dec. 1986 (or so) - coldest hike I've ever done!

Andy and CT -
If you want to see an example of my "photography" and movie production, plus see my favorite parts of the AT thus far, watch these movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Zc1m5Dd-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI4AB5R3IvQ

God Bless...
Last edited by KenHiker on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

KenHiker

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Update: Autumn 1976 and 1977 Editions

1976:
My favorite articles included:
- Whiling Away an Autumn Day
Shows activities of enjoying the Fall colors and getting ready for Winter
- Mirror of Autumn
Shows stunning and peaceful views of Fall
Archive location for this issue:
https://archive.org/details/rbmsbk_ap2-v4_1976_V31N1

1977:
This is another of my favorite editions.
Articles included:
- Homecoming at Montpelier High
Nicely written and photographed.
- East Corinth Trail Ride
Shows an annual horse ride in this picturesque village
One of my favorites!
- In Search of Victory and Granby
A backroads fun adventure.
- Inns Along the Autumn Trail.
Although they stopped hiking for the most part, an interesting few days of outings in Inns along or near the Long Trail.
- The Artistry of Richard W. Brown
Written by his wife, a really good collection of Fall scenes.
Archive location for this issue:
Sadly, this one was never archived.
Attached are a couple of pictures from that edition.

God Bless...
Attachments
Autumn 1977 Cover.jpg
Autumn 1977 - Artistry of Richard Brown.jpg
Last edited by KenHiker on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am

I had always loved Vermont Life for its pictorials of Vermont. In my mid-30's when I started getting more serious about my photography, getting published in the Fall issue was a goal of mine. That goal was realized in the Fall 2016 issue with a page 2-3 spread from a hilltop in Lyndon.
Sadly that issue is not on the archive site (the issue they have labelled Volume 71, Issue 1 is actually issue #2. The fall issue is always #1 in the cycle, and the one they are missing is the issue with the founder of 14th star brewery on the cover).

The following year I was published again in what would turn out to be the final Fall issue of the historic magazine:

https://archive.org/details/rbms_bk_ap2 ... 5/mode/2up

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:58 am

Hi Tim! I am one very lucky forum member who has a personally autographed page of your autumn 2016 two page spread. It is from when I met you at Long Pond (I believe it was there) in the NEK. I have it right in front of me. It is a true keeper. I also have the 2 page spread from 2017 here beside that one! Your photography is top notch! :D

Andy

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 am

Tim: I joined here in 2005, and shortly thereafter, began seeing your images during the foliage season. I have watched you grow from your point and shoot style camera and nice images, to a very talentedand insightful photographer. I am not sure about how things progressed up until they stopped publishing their hard copy Magazine, but time was when getting published in VL was "the holy grail" for a New England nataure photographer. I believe I congratulated you at the time, but again, my sincere admiration for you images and congratulations for getting published - not just once, but twice - in Vermont LIfe!
Andy

KenHiker

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Update: Autumn 1978 Edition

Hi.
Just finished this edition, here are the highlights:
1. Jeanette of Averill
I always enjoy reading this story of a lady and her husband who run a general store in this far northeastern part of Vermont.
2. Fleeting Moments on Blustery Days
Written and photographed by the great photographer Clyde Smith, this is a short article about the last, cool days before winter's effects are felt.
The pictures and words make one feel the cool breeze blowing through the bare trees seen in the article.
The archive version of this edition is at this location:
https://archive.org/details/rbmsbk_ap2- ... 1/mode/2up
God Bless!

KenHiker

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:58 am

Update: Vermont Life - Autumn 1984 and 1985.
(I no longer have the editions for 1979-1983, so am skipping forward to 1984 and on...)

Highlights from the 1984 edition include:
- The Road to Lake Memphremagog:
I've always enjoyed this story, which tells about an old stagecoach road that once existed from Montpelier north to Derby Line and on into Canada.
The article and pictures pain a very interesting historical discussion of late 1800's and early 1900's transportation in that part of Vermont.
I've always been interested in old roads, and this story is fascinating.
- Light in Autumn:
this 3-page article mainly shows the traditional Fall Foliage pictures, and is very enjoyable to look at.
- Thistle Hill Campground
A fun read with nice pictures.
Tells about an older, retired couple who bought a hill and made it into their home and campground.
Sounds like a great place!
To see this edition, go to the archive:
https://archive.org/details/rbmsbk_ap2-v4_1984_V39N1

Highlights from the 1985 edition include:
- A Country Editor's Calling: You CAN Go Home Again
Tells about a man coming back to his home town to buy and run the area's weekly newspaper from his dad.
Since I was a "journalist" at one time, I found this interesting.
- Autumn Mists: A Scenic Portfolio
Shows some nice Fall scenes and the mist that typically is seen during the morning hours. This is caused by the cooler air and warmer (at that time) ground.
To see this edition, go to the archive:
https://archive.org/details/rbmsbk_ap2-v4_1984_V39N1

God Bless!
Last edited by KenHiker on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.