Fantastic story on the Long Trail - VTDigger

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fantastic story on the Long Trail - VTDigger

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:02 am

Hello fellow SOV hikers! I just read this wonderful narrative by Mark Bushnell, Vermont journalist and historian. The storyline and historical perspective are divine. I hope you enjoy reading this article as much as I have! Mr. Bushnell did a stellar job and it kept my attention till the very end. Someday, I would like to hike a part of the Long Trail. :mrgreen:

https://vtdigger.org/2020/08/02/then-ag ... est-trail/

My favorite paragraph by Hindes come at the very end!

"The elation he felt at completing the trail remained with Hindes the next spring, when he wrote a foreword for his journal:

“If any man wishes to sincerely find himself, let him strap a pack on his back, turn to glories of nature and drink deeply. …Toil until the loftiest peaks are conquered, stand upon them and feel a careless wind sweep across your face, survey the vastness at your feet, and when eventide falls, make a bough-bed and let the stars watch over you!”

James Gordon Hindes’ Long Trail Journal, “So Clear, So Cool, So Grand,” can be purchased from the Green Mountain Club.
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot