OFF TOPIC: Anyone hiked Harmon Hill in Bennington?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

OFF TOPIC: Anyone hiked Harmon Hill in Bennington?

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:04 am

Hello SOV hikers: I'm hoping to hike Harmon Hill in Bennington after Labor Day provided the situation for out of staters has eased by this time. All the reviews thus far are conflicting; some rate it difficult and strenuous, while others call it moderate and even kid friendly. The out and back mileage is even different on the sites. Most agree that the first part is strenuous with the rock stairs but the trail after the steep ascent is lovely - beautiful woods and sloping trail - nice view of Bennington at the top. The trailhead is found on the opposite side of Route 9 from the parking area. Here the trail immediately enters the woods and begins its very steep ascent using rock staircases and switchbacks. Rock staircases are fine with me but not rock scrambling! :mrgreen:

I'm really looking forward to this hike because the view is particularly fine to the west where Bennington, the prominent Mount Anthony, and other hills and mountains of the Taconic Range stand out.

Any thoughts/recommendations are welcomed!

PS So far I've done Mile Around Woods in Bennington, Mt. Ascutney, Mt. Olga Fire Tower Hike, Equinox Preserve trails, Stratton Fire Tower Hike and Putney Mountain, all of which are amazing!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: OFF TOPIC: Anyone hiked Harmon Hill in Bennington?

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:01 am

I compiled my list for the rest of the upcoming hikes in southern Vermont for late August/early September day trips! Any thoughts are welcomed as always. I'm still hiking away in the northwest corner of CT albeit so hot! I'm amazed at the strenuous hikes even in my own state and in the extreme SW corner of MA. There are tons of folks hiking everywhere; remote lots that usually have 3 or 4 cars are pretty much full. Here are the VT possibilities so far:

▶Haystack Mountain, Wilmington
▶Hike around Lake Shaftsbury
▶Hike around Woodford Lake
▶Lye Brook Falls, Manchester
▶Prospect Rock, Manchester
▶Mt. Tom (Faulkner Trail) Woodstock