Foliage - Hartford to Ottawa

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

meenan

Foliage - Hartford to Ottawa

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:35 pm

My wife and I will be flying into Hartford, CT on 10th of Oct. This will be our first foliage trip in New England.
We have 4 full days to explore before we start driving to Ottawa on 15th of Oct. We will drive back to Hartford on 19th of Oct for our next morning flight.

Below are the locations that we are considering based on forum posts. Please advise if there are other locations worth exploring during this time frame.
Vermont - Central/South, Lake Chaplain area, (NEK - Ist it worth driving through past peak ?)
Massachusetts - Berkshires, Route 7, Mohawk trail
Connecticut - North West corner, Litchfield county
New Hampshire - Kancamagus ??

We prefer to spend more time in Vermont (NEK to be more specific). Looking at the present foliage conditions in NEK, it would be past peak by the time we arrive.

Please advise us other locations/scenic routes that we could explore during this road trip to Ottawa.

Thank you for your time and input.

Cheers,
Suresh

loafer89

Re: Foliage - Hartford to Ottawa

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 pm

October 10th is too late for the NEK and the higher elevations of Vermont. The foliage this year is early by about 7-10 days. During the last two foliage seasons the Fall color in Massachusetts has been really poor due to fungus/rust. It's too early to tell what will happen this year.

My recommendation would be the 1-91, Route 7 and Lake Champlain areas. Alot will be determined by the weather in October. It's supposed to be below normal temperature wise by 10/1 for at least the first 8-10 days of the month. If we have alot of rain wind and hard freezes the foliage won't last.

Here in the Hartford area, it's green. Peak around here is usually around 10/21, slightly earlier in the hill towns.

pwt54

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 am

I agree with loafer89. Southeast VT and western VT would have the best color. Lake Champlain affects the climate in western Vt, making a warmer climate. Foliage is about a week later than interior VT.

standupphotog

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:27 am

Hi Suresh.

I live in Ottawa. You might see us on the road in VT somewhere. :D

Good recommendations here already for places you may want to visit. Just stay somewhat flexible as you can to maximize dynamic colour opportunities.

You could be hitting peak colour in Ottawa! We shall see.🤞We took a drive up in Gatineau Park yesterday and it’s just starting to turn. Two weeks and it could be great.

Are you planning on stopping in Montreal on the way? Great city and there might be some good colour around Mont Royal and other areas.

loafer89

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:43 am

I haven't been in Central New York State for Fall foliage, but the Hudson and Mohawk Valley areas probably offer good foliage. Perhaps the Finger Lakes also.

meenan

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you loafer89 for the recommendations and definitely will check your other suggestions in the New York state.

Thanks Standupphotog for pointing out Gatineau park and it's current conditions. Didn't know it peaked later during the season, we will check them out.
We have been to Montreal but not during fall season. Depending on time we have, we might stop in Montreal on the way.

standupphotog

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 pm

meenan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:38 am
Thanks Standupphotog for pointing out Gatineau park and it's current conditions. Didn't know it peaked later during the season, we will check them out.
We have been to Montreal but not during fall season. Depending on time we have, we might stop in Montreal on the way.
Whichever way you aren't stopping in Montreal (either Vermont to Ottawa and/or Ottawa-Hartford), if you don't already know, there's a route that takes you south of Montreal and avoids much of the traffic and construction that otherwise-beautiful city is famous for. It's the Autoroute 30. On Google Maps it may appear as an option, otherwise you can drag the route south. There's a small toll but you can pay in cash and it's well worth the time savings.

Let me know if you have any questions about Ottawa.
My favourite fall foliage spots include Major's Hill Park (across from Parliament Hill); along the Rideau Canal starting below Parliament and walking past where it bends (actually different spots all the way through the Glebe and to Dow's Lake); walk over the bridge to the Canadian Museum of History (on QC side facing Parliament); walk along the river west of Parliament; Rockcliffe Park and the neighbourhoods near the Old Ottawa City Hall (now Ministry of Foreign Affairs), Embassy of France and Rideau Hall (Governor General's residence & grounds); Strathcona Park & Sandy Hill (and Ottawa U); the Dominion Arboretum & Experimental Farm; Hog's Back Falls. And Gatineau Park, of course, including Old Chelsea & Meech Lake. There's more, but those are good start.

meenan

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks very much Standupphotog for the detailed list of foliage spots and also for the route suggestions near Montreal.

I am not sure if I will be able to cover all of these in this trip but definitely going into my list of places to check out while in Ottawa for my future trips.