Prettiest way from Maine to VT ??

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Lmsalcito

Prettiest way from Maine to VT ??

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:01 am

What we are doing is flying from Boston on Oct 9 and driving up the coast of Maine to Camden for 2 nights. We need the most scenic way to get over to Vermont ( Never been to/through NH). The way I have through AAA is up to Bangor and then West on Route 2. I know there must be a better way...Please let me know your thoughts.. Thanks

pwt54

Re: Prettiest way from Maine to VT ??

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:24 am

While the colors will be faded up there, I would find the quickest way from Camden to route 302 west near Portland and take that west to route 112 west in Conway, NH. Take route 112 west all the way back to route 302 in Woodsville. Turn left and head for Vermont.

Lmsalcito

Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:25 pm

OK thanks.. that doesn't sound too promising..On th visit NH website it seems to say that it is peak in all areas but the very northern tip...Like north of Berlin.. I certainly don't want to be in the middle of faded folliage.I hope if we go the more southern route it will be somewhat good. I just want to enjoy the drive through NH. Sorry if I am being a bother.

4sneau

Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:04 pm

Again, I'm relaying second-hand information here, but my daughter (who lives in the Kennebunkport area--that's on the Coast, South of Portland) said that the leaves are already changing there, but she drove to Woodstock, Vermont last weekend and was surprised that ,"everything was so green there, and along I 89 in New Hampshire." Perhaps the leaves change earlier closer to the coast???

pwt54

Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:56 pm

Yeas, route 101 west goes to Keene, and then route 9 west to Brattleboro. BM's way will get you to the color a lot faster than my way, but it's not too scenic. My way gives you scenic but not much color. If you do take my route you will end up at I-91 in Wells River,Vt. take I-91 south and you will hit good color in about an hour and a half. It's a tough decision. I believe that BM's route will get you to Vermont faster than my route.