Color is Coming Fast

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MrBumps

Color is Coming Fast

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:14 pm

I happen to be on Route 2 between Marshfield and St Johnsbury yesterday, and on 302 through Groton this morning and the color is really coming on strong. I took a few pics this afternoon in East Haven and then stopped by Jobs Pond. Took a few quick pics. Light was not very good at Jobs Pond, but should give you an idea of the current color. Really looks like a lot of the NEK will be peaking this weekend.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Color is Coming Fast

Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Thank you for posting this report! I totally agree with you! When I was in Southern VT this past weekend no one could believe how fast the foliage was turning even at the higher elevations on route 9! Many of the VTers I spoke with said it was an overnight change, probably after that frost last week? Looks like the foliage is even early by a few days even from a "normal" year.

I'll be at Jobs Pond and Willoughby Friday so I appreciate your pics! I'm in Peacham all next week and can't wait to do the tours around Marshfield, Plainfield, Calais with bogey from this forum. Looks like we may hit it right! I also want to stop at Marshfield Pond! Perhaps we will do Groton State Forest. By your report, it may look really nice!

Thanks again for coming back here on the forum! Missed your posts! BTW, do you still have your horses???? I thought it was you who rode! :D

MrBumps

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 am

I think Groton will be nice this weekend. I have found in the past it usually peaks around the 6th, but things do seem a few days earlier this year.

And Yes, I do horseback ride. I've had horses most of my life.

Sadly we lost our last horse in the Fall of 2018. He was 27 and had some serious leg issues. The Vet recommended not having him go through another Winter. I don't think we will be getting anymore, at least not for now. We would like to travel more, and owning horses makes that a little tougher.

Enjoy your travels. Sounds like you have quite the schedule planned.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:17 am

Geez Mr. Bumps, sorry to hear about your loss of your senior horse. That must have been difficult. Keeping a horse is a full time job and hard work. Last year I volunteered at a horse rescue stable (from racing tracks and the slaughter pipeline) and it was endless, the hay feeding in certain bags for different horses 3 times a day, mucking stalls, cleaning the water buckets, grooming. The reward though, is worth it.

This time in Vermont I'll be riding in Jeffersonville later in the week and DnD Stables in East Burke on Sunday which looks great weather wise. I am staying at a horse farm in Stowe the first weekend in October, and will be helping out with the horses, so I am very excited. Packed the muck boots! :wink: I am taking a polo lesson in East Montpelier from a player from Sugarbush Polo Club when I am in Peacham. That should be interesting! I made sure he knew I was just a beginner so I am training in the rink on his farm. :roll:

I hope you post more photos as they are beautiful and it's good to have you back here. CT

MattD

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Love the photos. I'm not going to make it up to Groton until Oct. 5 or 6th. Do you think I'll miss the peak? When I was on Route 2 and hiking in Groton last year on those same dates the foliage was moderate, maybe 35 to 40 percent at the most with lots of green.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi Matt! Welcome to the foliage forum! I am on the fence with this question but I'm sure Mr. Bumps will come in later. I think you may still be ok. Next week, mid week might have the answer you are looking for. CT

Britchess

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 pm

As exciting as this is, I'm worried that I'll miss peak. I'm heading up the weekend of the 11th, which now seems to be well past peak. Crazy how fast the foliage came this year!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Britchess, you might hit it perfectly in south central or southern VT, is that an option? The Manchester area and route 7 corridor might be awesome! CT

MattD

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:28 pm

ctyanky wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:04 pm
Hi Matt! Welcome to the foliage forum! I am on the fence with this question but I'm sure Mr. Bumps will come in later. I think you may still be ok. Next week, mid week might have the answer you are looking for. CT

Thanks for the warm welcome! From everything I'm seeing, foliage will be resplendent in central and southern Vermont by or before Columbus Day.

But my favorite part of the state is the Northeast Kingdom well north of Saint Johnsbury, from Island Pond to Jay Peak, and I love hiking in Groton State Forest, the Lamoille Valley Trail and Mount Pisgah at Lake Willoughby. Now I'm thinking I should take a few more days off from work and try to get there by Thursday, Oct 3. I'm staying in Barnet until Oct 13.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to return.

MrBumps

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:51 pm

I have to head up route 302 through Groton tomorrow. If I have time, I will shoot up through the state forest and see how it looks around Kettle Pond. I was checking some of my photos from there from 2017 and I was there on 10/8. It was a tad past peak, but still beautiful, so I would think the 5th/6th would be good.

Dogs got me up early this morning (actually they do every morning), but had a great sunrise in the back yard today! Burke Mountain in the distance.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Amazing shot Mr. Bumps! We had a deluge of rain pass by and the sunset was silver and then turned a light pink and a light purple. Nothing like your's obviously, but so nice! Tomorrow promises to be a beauty! :D

MattD

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:12 pm

MrBumps wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:51 pm
I have to head up route 302 through Groton tomorrow. If I have time, I will shoot up through the state forest and see how it looks around Kettle Pond. I was checking some of my photos from there from 2017 and I was there on 10/8. It was a tad past peak, but still beautiful, so I would think the 5th/6th would be good.

Dogs got me up early this morning (actually they do every morning), but had a great sunrise in the back yard today! Burke Mountain in the distance.

Thank you Mr. Bumps. Kettle Pond is one of my foliage benchmarks so if your photos show a lot of color, that means fall is back to a more traditional timetable, unlike last year, when Kettle was mostly green when I was there on Oct. 5.

loafer89

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am

I've been sick in bed with a bad cold since Monday. But I'm feeling better now and on my way to Mt Snow and SR71/ Kelly Stand. The last time I was purposely in Vermont in September for foliage was in 1995.

loafer89

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 am

Amazing foliage color around Searsburg Reservoir and Mount Snow. Most foliage color I've ever seen in late September.

loafer89

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:00 pm

SR71, Searsburg Reservoir area.
Attachments
MVIMG952019092795110942951.jpg