Two Often Overlooked VT Roads with Incredible Beauty!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Two Often Overlooked VT Roads with Incredible Beauty!

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Hello on this autumn evening! I have traveled these two roads in the past and have found gorgeous foliage and so little cars on the road! I also haven't seen too many reports here on the forum and these areas are so worthy of mention.

☞Route 15 from Hyde Park through Wolcott (south side of road in Wolcott heading east wow): I've seen tremendous color on this stretch of 15 and it continues to be a lovely drive right to Walden down to route 2!

☞The Worcester Range! Ahhhhh! Such beauty here as you travel on route 12 north from Montpelier to Morristown. Lake Elmore is a star when it comes to foliage and the reflections can't be beat! You parallel the CC Putnam State Forest on the left as you travel north. I remember doing this with Phil years ago and it was quite beautiful. There is a nice general store there, plus you can hike to the fire tower to the summit of Elmore Mountain. (I'm trying to knock that one off my bucket list of fire tower hikes! Not sure I have time this season but am awaiting response from bvahjen!)

https://www.elmorevt.org/community/elmore-store

Always a nice diversion to try new areas. I know you will like these two road trips! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Two Often Overlooked VT Roads with Incredible Beauty!

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 am

Just a note: the whole area of Walden on route 15 is on fire right now. I'm going to go back tomorrow and up to Hardwick on route 14 and will post findings. Route 16 north is peak when we left the Hill Farmstead Brewery so these areas are going to be prime this weekend! :D

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am

Agreed. There are so many great roads to check out the foliage in Vermont.

But I think everyone should just stay in the conga-line of traffic on Route 100. That is really the only road that anyone should drive on in Vermont during foliage season. :wink: :wink: :wink: <insert thick sarcasm emoji here>

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:59 am

Love that humor! The real Vermont is on the back roads for sure! :D

In a couple of hours I am heading back up route 2 to Dog Mountain for the festival and hope to find some nice back roads on the way!