A little Flatlander in VT Humor for You – CT and Man Driver – Car vs. Class Four Road Today!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

A little Flatlander in VT Humor for You – CT and Man Driver – Car vs. Class Four Road Today!

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:03 pm

Just a little diversion from foliage seeking/advice/reports for you! :D

MD: my darling man driver
ME: CTYanky

Prelude:

Nothing like a beautiful drive up Carpenter Hill Road in Pownal/Bennington! This wonderful dirt road with views galore at the summit of the Bennington valley with the monument standing tall is a sight to behold. As always, thanks to Charles (ixl) from this forum for this road recommendation, of which I have done at least 5 times. The Southern Vermont Orchard takes up a good portion of the descent and the acres of apples is totally unreal! A must drive for you this fall! Stopped at the Apple Barn and Bakery and I stocked up with road food for upcoming foliage trip to VT!

Forward:

CT forgets her dog earred Jimapco and has to rely on MD's GPS (horrors)! MD does not have his truck, just small low based car this time around.

The conversation goes like this!

ME: “Oh, look over there! There's another dirt road off Carpenter Hill that crests and looks like it has a great long view!!!!”

MD: “Sure, let's go!”

Enjoying views before turning down the road to left...….

ME: "Hmmm, wait, this dirt road looks a little different to me than the normal dirt road we are on right now. Do you think we should turn around and go back down Carpenter Hill?”

MD: “Where's your sense of adventure?”

ME: “Right, ok let's go...” (I know what I know how roads can change up there! Can't tell him anything!)

MD: “See, it's fine, just a little more rocky and umm, more narrow. No worries, we can do it. Relax!”

ME: “Hey, it's just one lane now, and there are ruts and washouts and I'm worried about your car bottoming out like we did before”. (mud season during sugaring, one road up Wheeler Pond Road).

MD: “I got it. Let's listen to the sounds of nature, the bees buzzing in the flowers (next to my door), the cows bellowing (next to his door) and that fall smell. Isn't this nice?” Car stops and we experience some “forest bathing” but my anxiety levels cancels out that nature thing.

ME: “Look, this road is a class 4 road for sure, and there's no place to turn around except right here with the cows in the pasture.”

MD: “I'm worried about puncturing a tire.”

ME: “UGH”

MD: “Don't worry I got it”.

ME: “I'M CLOSING MY EYES NOW. LET ME KNOW WHEN WE GET TO THE BOTTOM!." Cows bellowing at this point.............

Minutes pass, no sound except bumps and rocks hitting car. Clutching my box of cider donuts now. Praying the tire doesn't blow out and I make it to my VT vacation this week!

MD: “See, we're here. I told you not to worry!!!”

ME: “UGH”.

Saga ends. Class 4 road, ends at farm to regular dirt road but was “not” a tractor road into a field. And on we go........... :roll:

Notes to self: Bring Jimapco at all times, don't always rely on GPS! Let me drive during the vacation coming up and make the decisions!!!!

Does this sound familiar to anyone but me? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Happy roading in VT! Happy Autumn All! CT :shock:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Colorado Mom

Re: A little Flatlander in VT Humor for You – CT and Man Driver – Car vs. Class Four Road Today!

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Ummmmmmm YES and that's all I'm sayin :mrgreen: CT your are a hoot! I would be closing my eyes too but glad you saved those cider donuts and made it back to safe roads. Makes you stop and think a bit.....I don't want to end up on a road like that either.

Utah Baker

Re: A little Flatlander in VT Humor for You – CT and Man Driver – Car vs. Class Four Road Today!

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: , been there, done that! One of my favorite Vermont memories was the time we took a dirt road that turned rather ugly, then saw a small sign that said it was an ATV trail! We had to back down to were we could turn around, but the day was golden and we laughed all the way.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi Janice! Well, I didn't do my "happy dance" till we got to Woodford and saw all that amazing color! :mrgreen: