Foliage in Quechee

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

dwebster

Foliage in Quechee

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm

I’m thinking of driving to Quechee on October 5th. Do you think the foliage will be near peak at that time?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage in Quechee

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:23 am

Hello Webster and welcome to the forum! This is a hard one for me to answer but I will step out on a limb and say that it may be too early for peak here on that date. This foliage season is presenting a different scenario so far and no one is really sure how the 2019 season will pan out except that we may be headed for a normal season after all (not 10 days late like last year). The Woodstock/Quechee area "typically" comes into color later. So far, all the elements are coming together for a great season. I would say maybe the following week to be safe. Are you just coming up for the day? Maybe take a drive up north to the higher elevations?

Minnesotaman from this forum, stays in Woodstock for a month and he will be there next week. Hopefully, he will come on and confirm or (poo poo) what I just said! :lol: He is the absolute best resource for the area and can give you better information! Sorry to be so ambivalent!

Does anyone else have some thoughts on this? :roll:

CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Colorado Mom

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 am

I would have to agree. I'm thinking mid October or maybe a tad bit later for peak around the Woodstock area....but I'm no expert, just going by past experiences.

minnesotaman

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 am

Years ago I used to think Oct 12-15 give or take a few days was about right in the Woodstock, Quechee, Pomfret, Bridgewater area. The last few years I would say Oct 15-18 give or take a few days is about right. But, every year is different. Here are two images. One is along Cloudland Road on Oct. 16 2016, autumn in full color. The other is also on Cloudland Road, a couple miles away, actually out my front door, on Oct. 18, 2018, snow and sticks. On any given day, colors, and the number of leaves left of the trees, are usually quite different depending on whether you are in town, along the Ottaquechee, or up in the hills.
Attachments
Cloudland Oct 18 2018.jpg
Cloudland Road 10 16 2016.jpg

dwebster

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:24 am

Wow! Quite a difference. Beautiful!

MinnieB

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 am

I'm expecting to be in Quechee on Oct. 8th, I can report back then, but will report sooner if I end up going through there earlier. I can say in Lebanon, NH, our foliage has turned a bit early this year. I'd say we are at about 50%. I think this is probably due to some drought stress. What I've seen is trees being super bright for a couple days and fading quickly which is usually and indicator of dryness. Most of the color is at lower elevation, though strangely. The hills are dotted with color, but still a lot of green. Actually saw trees turning at the end of August in spots. I was over in Wilder, VT on Friday and they are starting to get some decent color there. The reds and oranges have come out early. There are these two trees, side by side that have red leaves (sorry I don't know what they are) in Lebanon that normally are the last to turn and one of them is fully turned and the other isn't turned much at all. Very odd.

I'm thinking about northern NY for this weekend, I hear the Adirondacks may be peaking this weekend. If I go, I'll report back on what I see passing through VT.

pwt54

Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:43 am

Oct 5th may be early for peak foliage, but there will be color. Head west and north for better color. East of Quechee is in the Connecticut River Valley. It has a warmer climate and will peak later than the mountain areas to the west.

minnesotaman

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:36 pm

today i spent about four hours on my favorite roads in woodstock, pomfret, barnard, bridgewater and quechee.

usually things would still be quite green here. there are still many green trees, but a much larger than usual number of trees have changed already. also, many of the trees that have changed are quite far along. the typical colors in this area are gold, and rusty orange and rusty red. the colors this year look to be about the same intensity as usual.

overall, the trees that have changed give this area the appearance of being perhaps a week early as compared to the last few years. but, because of the combination of green trees and advanced change trees it is tough to guess when the area will look like it is at peak. some roads looked to me today like they are at peak now (quite unusual here for late september), some looked quite green. it's probably not going to all happen at once this year, here.

Colorado Mom

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:53 pm

That would make me so happy to hit peak at Woodstock this year. We always miss it. Thanks for the update!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:17 am

Great report Minn, looks like you will have nice color right at your doorstep!

Colorado, I can't wait to hear about your Woodstock adventures. Such a gorgeous area indeed. I hope to return in October but will await the expertise of Minnesotaman and see what the foliage is like then. Have fun you two! :D