What Experts Are Saying About the 2019 Foliage Season in New England: boston.com

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

What Experts Are Saying About the 2019 Foliage Season in New England: boston.com

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:22 pm

CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Re: What Experts Are Saying About the 2019 Foliage Season in New England: boston.com

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:02 am

'longer season and more vibrant' and 'earlier' than last year--can't complain about that! As I said, cooler more normal night temps forecast for this month and early October are probably a big factor, Global Warming is giving Vermont a break this year

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: What Experts Are Saying About the 2019 Foliage Season in New England: boston.com

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 am

With input from my friends in the tree business, the 2 big factors are the adequate rainfall we have had lately (and throughout the summer - not a lot of runoff) and the recent and MANY sunshiny days coupled with continuously cool nights. Also, we also did not experience drought this summer. Humid conditions, rather than dry, are contributors as well. The pest devastation and leaf disease were at normal levels and somewhat below. If this pattern continues the next 3 weeks, we are in great shape. If we have a series of 90s again at the end of September, it can slow the season, but not the expected color show, because we have all the elements coming together at a critical time for foliage right now.

These elements are all reiterated in the article, which I thought was spot on. So we wait and see and take what comes I guess! I am very happy with what I am seeing right now. Nothing looks shriveled and dried up here in northern CT and on my numerous trips to Vermont. Some of the color flares we saw in southern VT were a deep ruby and orange and lots of golds. Good signs! 8)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:03 am

On another note, my personal thoughts on this are that these fall temps, etc. we are experiencing now came on fast for us this time as compared to the last few years, and have come as sort of a wake up call for everyone in NE. This is what was "normal" in the past before it became very warm through our Septembers. So I don't think it is an alarm for early color, just a typical pattern for once. I'll take it! :D