Eight Years Ago This Week: Hurrican Irene Devastates VT and New England

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Eight Years Ago This Week: Hurrican Irene Devastates VT and New England

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:12 pm

https://www.wcvb.com/article/irene-s-un ... nd/8119847

Lest we forget. There are still areas along some of the rivers I drive by where you can see past damage from the flooding. Looking at some of these shots on a boston website brings back a lot of memories of the devastation incurred from Irene. Leave it to Vermonters to get back on their feet in record time showing the real meaning of community.
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Eight Years Ago This Week: Hurrican Irene Devastates VT and New England

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:05 pm

Amen! Well said! :D

wentworth

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:49 am

Not only that, but it was worst Fall in Vermont history in 2011 as far as colors go, the extreme rainstorms not only caused massive flooding damage, Irene also created black mold in the trees and prevented them from turning color, we drove everywhere saw almost no color that year, I swear that in Killington all the hills were just colorless and brown, it was so depressing, I hope to never see that again in my lifetime--Hurricanes are for us down here in Florida(and hurricanes are actually a lot of fun and incredible experiences to witness the power of nature as long as its a minimal one with 75 to 80 mph winds), where they are just mostly annoyances(unless your house gets blown away), hurricanes don't belong in Vermont, Irene was just a freak storm--Ironically, although the colors were ruined in 2011, the very next year, 2012, was one of the best Falls in Vermont history, beautiful color in many places, we just had a blast that year

loafer89

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Thankfully Hurricane Dorian is around here for the first week of September. If it was a month from now, foliage lovers would have mini heart attacks based on eventual track. Foliage season for 2011 was pretty awful, last year was similar in Massachusetts with rust colored foliage until leaf drop. I have a feeling this year will be a good one with fingers crossed. It's been a hot/humid summer, but Fall weather looks to set in late next week. Hopefully it stays for good.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Hey Loafer! Great to see you back here! I've been up in VT almost every weekend most of the summer for day trips. Things look and feel different up there lately, as far as cool weather (day and night) as well as the beginnings of emerging color that I have not experienced the last couple of years. The highlands of route 9 in the Woodford area were the most apparent and along 30 from Brattleboro right into Manchester Center showed me that we were turning the corner a lot sooner than before. Even here in CT, the same deal. We have had adequate rainfall and humidity is better than dry which sucks the moisture out big time. So many bright sunshiny days and cool nights lately! I know it can change in a heartbeat; these are just my own observations and impressions of course...…….

By the way, next Saturday is Litchfield's 300th anniversary on the town green and I'll be there most of the day and tooling the back roads in the NW corner. Keep in touch. CT