Common Rd Bragg Hill and Route 12 out Montpelier

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Colorado Mom

Common Rd Bragg Hill and Route 12 out Montpelier

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm

These are new roads/route I plan on taking this fall but don't know much about them. How long is Common Rd? Same with Bragg Hill.Where do I start and finish? I know Route 12 is someone's favorite on here, can't remember who but I would love to know more please.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Common Rd Bragg Hill and Route 12 out Montpelier

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Common Road from Joslin Hill to East Warren Road about 3.5 miles. Bragg Hill about 2/3 of that. I love taking East Warren Road out of Warren Village and end at Joslin Hill and take the loop back into town. There is a covered bridge further past the intersection of Joslin Hill and Common Road. Turn right on North Road (or is it East Road) to see the bridge..... You can also take North Road to Tremblay back to Main Street....

I usually start at 17 to Bragg and then loop all around back to 17. Beauty abounds!

Route 12 out of Montpelier is Phil's favorite road (pwt - moderator). He may have more to add! Are you talking about going north on 12 out of Montpelier or south out of Montpelier? Each direction offers different views, landscapes, etc. I like the northern route into the Worcester Range to Lake Elmore......…...

You've selected two great roads in Waitsfield! 8)

I've heard the von Trapp Greenhouse is a nice stop but I've never been. Just before Waitsfield Common.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm

While you are tooling about, take Plunkton Road off of 100 to Blueberry Lake. Keep an eye on the forum for the emerging iconic ring of color around Blueberry Lake (afternoon shot). It varies every year due to weather conditions, etc. Many of us head out there as it is so gorgeous! I'll find the post I made one year and it has the exact entrance (north entrance - Blueberry Lake Road) for best viewing... Take Fuller Hill Road back into Warren. Unbelievable views and lovely back road!!!!!!

Colorado Mom

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks CT I will get out my map and try to figure it out. Was planning on going up route 12 to Montpelier. I see several bridges on my map going that way!

Andy

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:37 am

Mom: ( :D ) - 12 is going to take you off to the east around Northfield, and in order to get to and see the Common Road and Bragg Hill, you are going to eventually have to head back west toward Route 100. One possible way is Cox Brook Road (turning into Moretown Mountain Road), which is a nice drive. It will bring you onto 100 in Moretown just north of Waitsfield, and you will want to turn south again on 100 and take it back into Waitsfield. When you see the little Village Grocery store (on your left) you will be almost to bridge street. Turn left onto Bridge Street, cross the bridge (over the Mad River) and take it to Joslin Hill Road. Take Josllin Hill up the hill and you will see the Waitsfield Common ( a small triangle). Bear right onto the Common Road (so-named because it terminates at the Waitsfield Common). This is a quiet, beautiful little gravel road with a couple farms and some wonderful views off to the West. It is very short. I have actually walked its entire length without any much difficulty. It is just under 3 miles from the common to the intersection with Rolston Road, which takes you back to 100.

Bragg Hill starts and heads west, just about a mile south of the Bridge Street intersection with 100. It is just before the junction with Route 17 heading west. If you hit the intersection, you went just too far. There is a kind of uphill-looking parking lot for a business of some type at the base of Bragg Hill. It makes a 3.5 mile loop to up to the west, and then back to the south and back down onto 17, where you can go right back into Waitsfield. I wouldn't suggest walking this one as there is a major incline to it, but there is a nice cemetary, a couple nice farms and especially the centennial barn which has been frequently photographed in recent years. It, and directions to it are in our eBook, BTW.

Both are short, easy drives, but you may end up lingering on both :D :D
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Colorado Mom

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks Andy. That particular day consists of leaving Woodstock, Killington, up 100 doing the Gaps, Warren, Waitsfield then heading up 12 towards Montpelier to go to Morse Farm and Bragg Farm. I figured I was going to have to do some back tracking once we were done in Waitsfield to get over to 12. I have realized one thing.....I need to invest in the JIMAPCO map everyone else seems to be using!!

Colorado Mom

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Carol. I agree I could not plan a trip without everyone's help on here and I appreciate it so much. This will be my 3rd trip to Vermont and New Hampshire and I learn new things each time I go thanks to you guys! We fly in the 1st part of Oct for a 10 day trip and we are so excited :D