Fall Preview for the Northeast This Weekend! A Touch of Autumn in the Air!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fall Preview for the Northeast This Weekend! A Touch of Autumn in the Air!

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 am

Wow! We are in for a refreshing taste of fall weather this coming weekend across New England! Day time temps in the 70s and low 50s at night in Southern New England. Up north, looks like the NEK will be in the 60s daytime and upper 40s at night! Lovin' this forecast! :D

It's been a hot and humid week with lots of storms, and who is not looking forward to those cool breezes, bright, sunshiny days, evening strolls with a light jacket and that first tease of Autumn by Mother Nature! Sparkling days ahead will certainly bring out my "pre-autumn bliss state of mind". :wink: Mum season is here! Perfect weather for all outdoor activities once again. What a fantastic summer it has been! Almost every weekend has been glorious and I've gotten so much hiking in I just couldn't be happier!

We will be losing well over an hour of daylight by August 31st and the precursors of fall are slowly edging closer! I cannot WAIT to open all the windows at night and let that intoxicating aroma of the change of seasons drift into my home! 8)

Are you ready? :D :D :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Fall Preview for the Northeast This Weekend! A Touch of Autumn in the Air!

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:07 pm

Yesssssssssss. The refreshing, cool air has arrived in northern CT and all the windows are open! I rechecked the weather for Derby and Morgan and it will be in the mid 40's at night for the next 4 days. Seriously, we have had 5 or 6 heat waves already and that is enough for one summer. So fingers crossed, we deserve and will take, all the autumn teases that Mother Nature can give us! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 am

49 degrees this morning in northern CT. 41 in Morgan VT!!!! Left all the windows open last night and the house was an iceberg!!!! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Heat on in the car this morning. Lovin' every bit of it! :D :D :D

Putting up my fall décor as I write this!!!!

Colorado Mom

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Love it!!!! We are only in the 50s here at night but can't wait to start my wood burning fireplace. Love the smell of oak and pinon!! I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm nuts when I start it so soon but they know me well enough to know I love fall and winter and yes the windows are open at this point!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:13 pm

A wood burning fireplace sounds divine right now. What do you do to decorate your home? I bet it looks amazing! I got four mums today, put up my foliage wreath with foliage ribbon on the front door, fall garden flags, and decor around my fireplace and a couple of knick knacks so far. I usually don't put up my large fall flag from "Flag Fables" until I get back from Vermont because it could come down in the wind or stay on a wrap cycle and look pretty messed up! I get my pumpkins on the way home from Vermont too so I can enjoy them before they become squirrel heaven........

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Carol, I'm with you on the “hmmmm” and note positivity in your post. All the right things have come together this summer so far for an optimistic view on foliage. Moderate rainfalls, no drought worries, normal amounts of insect infestation and very healthy, lush trees with thick canopies. Lots of bright sunshiny days and cool nights as of late as well. Hoping this pattern continues into mid to late September! My tree peeps don't offer any advice until the 3rd week of September and I tend to agree with them. One thing I am feeling as of late, is that foliage is occuring later. Maybe a week? Some feel it is about 10 days. But it is not like it used to be with strong color appearing mid-September in the northern tiers.

From my own personal look at the big picture from all the elements coming together this summer, I am getting a positive gut feeling about foliage in Vermont and elsewhere. Right now I'm leaning toward the other side of the fence (the good side)! I wish I had as much patience as my friends in the tree business who are mum on the subject right now! Most of all, I don't want any 90's coming around the corner in late September! I think this happened last year.

A week before I leave (9/27), I am hoping that hmmmmm of yours turns into yessssssssssss!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm

This is a really good observation Carol. That never crossed my mind. Just hoping we do not have any sudden 90's in later September, early to mid September ok, somewhat normal, but later on could be a repeat of last year. I would rather be in Vermont with fleece and long pants instead of shorts and T shirts and sweating looking at leaves that are still green or dropping prematurely! This year looks promising, I'm just feeling good about it all nonetheless....

I'm heading to Manchester VT Saturday for a hiking trip and it is going to be 49 Friday night. Your forecast continues...…….

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Looking ahead...…. does our recent weather pattern the last couple of years look like it is turning around a bit? Morgan VT will be in the low 40s with a 39 next week after Labor Day. It looks pretty stable like this for two more weeks. A spat of rain coming Labor Day but this is always welcome. There are a lot of reports on different sites in VT and NH that it is not just stressed trees turning but an uniform early color appearing. This is making me hopeful. Maybe by mid September we can adjust our thinking as to the coming season's turnaround from the past 3 years of later foliage timing.

Nonetheless, we take what we get and be thankful we are even in Vermont enjoying all the beauty surrounding us. As I always said, "Mother Nature Holds The Reins"...…. :wink:

CT