Prettiest Little Village in Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Colorado Mom

Prettiest Little Village in Vermont

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm

I have read several articles about pretty little villages in Vermont. I'd love to know what your favorite is and why

Andy

Re: Prettiest Little Village in Vermont

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:52 pm

There are a number of them, including Newfane and Townsend in the southern part, Peacham and Craftsbury Common in the NEK and the little village in Plymouth (perhaps a bit "contrived" but pretty, nonetheless) where the Calvin Cooliged homestead is, and East Arlington in the southwest. But I would have to call Peacham my favorite, bar none. It is very small, with a nice central common and some quintessential New England Village buildings. But what sets Peacham apart for me is that there are some wonderful views from outside the village, and driving into the village is - to me - like taking a step into yesteryear. It is a not-to-miss place.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:14 pm

I concur about Peacham. That is why I am staying in the village a whole week this year! Can't wait!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:42 pm

I have to say, Dorset VT is right up there with Peacham. A stunning town green, lovely general store, a couple of historic inns and gorgeous architecture. All in a very small quintessential town. And it is close to the Dorset Quarry and the outstanding Dorset Farmer's Market! Just a very short drive from Manchester.....

Utah Baker

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:44 pm

All of the above! I also enjoy Danville & Cabot.

Colorado Mom

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:24 pm

So fun.....I have never been to Danville. Cabot or Dorset. I have been to Peachum and absolutely love the drive in from the north. Hoping to hit Peachum on the day of the festival but I don't know if we can fit that full day in the first day we arrive

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Colorado Mom: let me know if you make it to Peacham. I'm there all day for the festival including the Church supper. I'm actually there all week so would love to meet you! I'm staying right in the village! Keep me posted!

Colorado Mom

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Ok I definitely will. If we are not there that day we will be there the next day. I am trying to pace ourselves so we don't
get tired right off the bat from a 10 day trip. Im not getting any younger :lol: The first day flying in is a long one as my daughter is coming from Idaho and myself from Colorado so I was thinking the Kanc would be an easier day for us but I sure hate to miss the Peachum festival

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:12 am

Yeah, take it easy the first day! The Kanc sounds less stressful for your arrival day. I'm leaving Peacham on Saturday morning to head to the Groton Fall Festival (part of the NEK Fall Foliage Festivals) and the Danville Corn Maze, and then to Stowe where I am staying at a horse farm for the weekend before my last lodging. Friday is the Barnet Festival and I'll be there most of the morning. Peacham will be a lot quieter there after the festival day. However, if you do go on festival day, try to take the horse drawn hay ride into the fields with views of the iconic church scene. You load up at the firehouse - I hope the farmer is doing it this year! You will all love it! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:41 pm

The tiny village of Strafford, VT comes to mind and it is also on par with Peacham. Quaint and peaceful, with a gorgeous church on a hill known to many photographers. Love it there. Cute little post office and lovely homes around the sweet town common. I wish I had time to revisit that entire area this season!

Colorado Mom

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Horse drawn hayride in the fields sounds like so much fun. I grew up on a farm in Ks so anything that takes me back to those days I would love AND we WILL be in Peacham that day...not for long as we have other places we are going to as well. For some reason I was thinking Peacham festival was the 2nd. Glad I was wrong!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:51 pm

ha ha! I'm glad you were wrong too! Hope to see you there even for a short bit. My bf and I are probably doing Nichols Ledge in the early morning after breakfast. Then all day at the festival! The farmer doing the hayrides is a transplant from Connecticut and he has one horse with an eye missing. So sad, but he got him for a steal and the horse is enjoying his Vermont digs and looks great! I sure hope he is there this time. He accepts nominal tips and it is so worth it! Lovin' Peacham and can't wait to be there for a whole week! :D