NEK update from today

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

edmcguirk

Re: NEK update from today

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:56 am

Hi Carol, thanks for the report. My travel plans for the NEK were to go up Wednesday 10/3 thru 10/11. Based on this reports and what you are seeing, is that too late? When you told me that you were going up on Wednesday, I assumed that meant next week, not this week. I told you Jobs Pond was high on my list, do you think that will still beholding next Wed or Thu? look forward to seeing yuor pictures...

edmcguirk

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:21 am

abby wrote:Good morning Ed. First off, it was wonderful to meet you Tuesday night at my camera club. Your presentation was excellent. Also, it was so nice to talk “Vermont” with you.
You are correct. I am coming back up here again next Wednesday. Sorry for any confusion. When you come up next Wednesday there will be plenty of color up here. It should be peak in most places. Jobs Pond, although close to peak right now should still have good color at the beginning of your trip I would think. It’s fairly protected from the wind and barring any severe weather it should be in great shape. I’m so looking forward to coming back up on Wednesday. I have to go home today as I have obligations this weekend. I will keep in touch.
Carol
Thank you Carol, I'm glad you enjoyed the photography program. Now don't forget to bring your macro lens with you next week :)
I may look into trying to head up on Tuesday next week based on your report. Again thanks for the NEK report, it was very helpful.

Hexagenia

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am

Spent the weekend up in Averill, and have to say that Averill and Norton are at peak. The drive between Island Pond and Norton is just killer, with the hillside by the underpass on 114 being its usual stunning self. And the slopes along Norton Pond as you drive towards the border are stunning. Forest Lake by Quimby's also amazing, with its usual late September complement of Geese and the occasional Loon. Canaan Hill Road is just a tunnel of color, but not for the faint of heart.

South of Island Pond on 114 looks a couple of days behind, but I don't know what today's rain will do to change the onset of color. And 102 between Lemington and Canaan is good, and the CT River Valley always pretty, but still not as advanced as the Averill/Norton area. Enjoy everyone--it's begun!

edmcguirk

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:29 pm

abby wrote:Hi Hex: thanks for the wonderful report. I do have a question. I’m not familiar with Canaan Hill Road. It sounds wonderful from your description. Why is it not for the faint of heart? Is it because of the condition of the road? Do you suggest only a high ground clearance vehicle or could a regular car make the drive?? Thanks so much!!!!
Carol (Abby)
Carol. regarding Canaan Hill Road, Charles Kozierok has some images from there there that looked interesting. I was planning to check that road out later this week, unless it requires high clearance.
http://www.desktopscenes.com/Autumn_Sce ... l_Road.htm

Hexagenia

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi all-

Canaan Hill Road is a Vermont Class IV that runs from the entrance to Quimby's off Forest Lake Road (off 114) to 102, between Canaan and Colebrook (though closer to Canaan). I just drove it in a Subaru, so clearance isn't a major issue, but there is a portion that gets narrow and there is some erosion mid-road that forces one to drive the edges. For anyone not used to driving on Class IV roads, I suspect it would be intimidating. For the more intrepid regulars on this board, I suspect it won't be much, but I am always prepared for some unenviable backing up if I encounter anyone coming the other way. Not much traffic and Forest Lake is a treat right now, especially if you have a kayak or canoe to put in.

Fallleafechidna

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:46 am

Are places like long pond, wheeler pond, norton pond and the whole 114/105 meeting to the border as over the top amazing as in 2016 or 2012? Or likely to be so if not yet? And if yes, would this fri, sat be too late? Thurs too late?

I don’t like to miss NEK if it is an over the top year, or even at all hah, but was also thinking about trying something new like maybe Franconia Notch/Kancamagus, which someone else I’d go with seems quite interested in seeing for the first time.

But if the NEK is over the top, maybe just run up there and get there Wednesday or Thursday night instead.

Speaking of the Kancamagus/notch option would next tues-thurs be too late for that? Might the color be very nice this year or not? Might it manage to be at least somewhat close to NEK or Stowe will be this year quality wise?

Down in NJ it’s weird, not the horrible drought of last year that totally killed fall for first time ever, but some branches on some trees and some trees and bushes with more or less green leaf drop and shrivel, never really seen this before. Had crazy amounts of rain and think some things are sort of almost drowning this year, never had any end of summer early fall dry period, just sipping wet all the time. And they say it may be another bad year down here.

I guess VT managed to avoid quite our level of rain though it sounds like?

The intense rain for VT/NH Tuesday, tomorrow, won’t beat all the leaves off will it? Hopefully it’s a bit behind enough so that wouldn’t happen in NEK or Kang?

Have the recent NEK pics been posted anywhere yet?
The Stowe 360 looked fairly promising.
Last edited by Fallleafechidna on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fallleafechidna

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:59 am

Actually I see some shots here that you posted in the other thread. Looks like Wheeler either has some way to go or may be a trace duller this year?

The incomparable long pond looked a touch early still but getting close, maybe worringsimely so, since that was the 27th? If I didn’t get to see it until 4th or maybe even 5th that is another 7-8 days later. Once total peak is hit sometimes just a day or two later it instantly goes all dull and done.

The Notch looks crazily green! I think that should certainly be fine still. Maybe it could be ok for even 9th, 10th along with Kangamus too still?? Not sure how Kangamus reacts and whether it is more stunning when higher elevations are peak or when lower are peak? Also no idea how to read it. When it gets this delayed does it still turn amazing colors or just go to burned out orange and brown?