Seeking route suggestions from Portsmouth, NH to Stowe, VT on 10/8

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

SRG927

Seeking route suggestions from Portsmouth, NH to Stowe, VT on 10/8

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello friends!

I’ve been a long-time board peeper and have so appreciated all of the great tips and recommendations you have all provided over the years. My husband and I have been making the trip to Vermont over the past 8 years and got married in Stowe during the beautiful 2014 foliage year—it was spectacular.

One of my dear friends is getting married in Portsmouth, NH on Columbus Day weekend and from there we’ll be traveling to Stowe where we will stay for a week. We’ve never been to NH and we’re looking forward to taking a great driving route where we can explore along the way to VT. I was curious if any one might have recommendations on the best route/places to stop along the way?

Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Samantha

wentworth

Re: Seeking route suggestions from Portsmouth, NH to Stowe, VT on 10/8

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:02 am

SRG927 wrote:Hello friends!

I’ve been a long-time board peeper and have so appreciated all of the great tips and recommendations you have all provided over the years. My husband and I have been making the trip to Vermont over the past 8 years and got married in Stowe during the beautiful 2014 foliage year—it was spectacular.

One of my dear friends is getting married in Portsmouth, NH on Columbus Day weekend and from there we’ll be traveling to Stowe where we will stay for a week. We’ve never been to NH and we’re looking forward to taking a great driving route where we can explore along the way to VT. I was curious if any one might have recommendations on the best route/places to stop along the way?

Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Samantha
2014 was great alright, one of Vermont's best Fall seasons

wentworth

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 am

This is the route we take FROM Stowe to NH:- Rt 302 from Montpelier VT going east into NH, but make sure first to take Rt 232 in Vermont, a pretty road, and take that short hike up Owl's Head and Kettle Pond(great view!), then continue onto Rt 302 and pickup Interstate 93 in NH going south to Rt 112(Kancamagus Hwy)then go west--so, just do that backwards lol

pwt54

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:10 am

Rt 112(Kancamagus Hwy) goes from route 302 in Conway, NH west to route 302 in Bath, NH. If you want to do the whole road, the quickest way to the road is to take I-95 north to Portland, Maine and take route 302 west to Conway, NH. This will be an all day trip ! If you want a shorter drive, then use Wentworth's route. I-93 north to Woodstock, New Hampshire and then route 112 east to route 302 in Bath, NH. Take route 302 east to Vermont. Take route 302 east to Barre, VT. Wentworth mentioned route 232 through the Groton State Forest. My thought is if you are staying in Stowe for a week, save the Groton State Forest for later. The Groton, Peacham, and Barnet area needs a whole day to enjoy.

SRG927

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Wonderful!!! Thank you both so very much for the suggestions—I’m going to check these out on the map. I’ll report back on which route we decide on :)