Foliage forecast update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage forecast update

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 am

Ed: the Monday and Tuesday dates would work for me, 15th and 16th, or a Sunday (14th) weather dependent. I'll map out my route. I can't do Saturdays because I work at the horse stables. Let's definitely keep this on the back burner and yes, I can walk 30 minutes (I am a hiker). I am interested in these overlooks too. I just need to know what time you think is the best for Quabbin viewing..... early morning? etc. Also, where do people park? CT

ps those photos are beautiful! Can't wait!

Snookman2

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 am

Thank you ctyanky! Excited to be heading back to Vermont! Bringing our kids this time (two boys, ages 6 and 8).

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 am

ctyanky wrote:Ed: the Monday and Tuesday dates would work for me, 15th and 16th, or a Sunday (14th) weather dependent. I'll map out my route. I can't do Saturdays because I work at the horse stables. Let's definitely keep this on the back burner and yes, I can walk 30 minutes (I am a hiker). I am interested in these overlooks too. I just need to know what time you think is the best for Quabbin viewing..... early morning? etc. Also, where do people park? CT

ps those photos are beautiful! Can't wait!
ctyanky, the Quabbin is best in morning IMO, but afternoons can be good too. It's possible to meet some place in Ware at the south end of the Quabbin, if you are coming from the Mass Pike. The best towns and ponds are at the north end, New Salem, Petersham, they are best accessed via Amherst. Quabbin Park at the south end is good AM and PM. Depends what you want to do. I perhaps would go out very early (6:00am) for serious photography, and then meet you somewhere (if that is not your thing), and we could do a loop around most of the Quabbin. Best access to hike along the reservoir is from the north too. If you wanted to stay overnight before or after, Amherst is probably your best choice.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:18 pm

Ed: I will come there to meet you by mid morning. I looked at so many routes to get there! If you say the north side of the reservoir is the best then that is where I will go. Where is the visitor's center and would that be a good meeting place? Also, on google maps I saw an observation tower! Is it open for viewing? Can you actually hike around the entire reservoir as it looks massive! Or were you referring to driving around it? I will take a route other than the Mass Pike, probably a more scenic back road drive.

I will need to get home by dusk so I will leave by 3. Will that be sufficient? Getting there around 9:30 a.m...….

We'll work on this meetup more seriously after Columbus Day when I get back to CT! Hope I didn't ask too many questions! :mrgreen: I've had this on my bucket list for at least five years and I want to go!!!! CT

edmcguirk

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 am

ctyanky wrote:Ed: I will come there to meet you by mid morning. I looked at so many routes to get there! If you say the north side of the reservoir is the best then that is where I will go. Where is the visitor's center and would that be a good meeting place? Also, on google maps I saw an observation tower! Is it open for viewing? Can you actually hike around the entire reservoir as it looks massive! Or were you referring to driving around it? I will take a route other than the Mass Pike, probably a more scenic back road drive.

I will need to get home by dusk so I will leave by 3. Will that be sufficient? Getting there around 9:30 a.m...….

We'll work on this meetup more seriously after Columbus Day when I get back to CT! Hope I didn't ask too many questions! :mrgreen: I've had this on my bucket list for at least five years and I want to go!!!! CT
ctyanky, that mid-morning to mid-afternoon time frame works perfectly. Specifics can be worked out later. But I would roughly suggest meeting at 9:30 in New Salem, MA on the northwest side of the reservoir, then visiting the Rattlesnake mountain overlook, Harvard Pond, and Petersham. From there we can drive back down the west side of the reservoir, seeing the Enfield overlook, and ending at Quabbin State Park in Ware on the far south side. The observation tower is at the state park, and views are good there in the afternoon. This route could be done completely in reverse, it depends whether you want to finish on the north side or south side. From north to south the reservoir is roughly 20 miles, and maybe 40 minutes of driving. When I said loop, I meant driving. At Quabbin Park in Ware, you can get down close to the water and walk a bit.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Ed! This all looks perfect! I'll meet you in New Salem at 9:30. When I get back from Vermont (and I may extend the trip by a day or two after Columbus Day) we can finalize. I'm very excited especially for the viewing tower and the ponds. Let's keep this on the itin for after Vermont. We can do Sunday, Monday or Tuesday of the week we discussed, all weather dependent.

I had hoped to meet you in Vermont but I see you arrive late 10/3. Columbus Day Weekend I may head north a bit. We'll see how it goes!

Minnesotaman arrived today I believe and is headed to the Whites in the a.m. I should hear from him in the next day or so.

Hope this trip is everything you have waited for and more. CT