Early Signs of Fall..........

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Texas: Minnesotaman will be the one to watch for some of the best reports around Woodstock. He stays there on Cloudland Road for a month! He knows every square inch of the surrounding area and gives extremely accurate, detailed and honest reports of the color as well as comparisons from many years past. I think he does 12 hour days every day from what he has told me! He is a scouter for sure, ramping up vast amounts of miles of travel throughout VT and NH. He is the one who told me about Joe Ranger Rd and Old Kings Highway, etc. CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:11 am

Due to the recent cool nights (brrrrr) the trees are starting to pop in my area in the higher elevations. What is appearing at the tips of the canopies is ruby red and orange, so I am hopeful this will continue to emerge up north! As I mentioned before, the trees remain healthy and lush and there is little to none leaf drop. The upcoming weekend is looking pretty awesome as well. I'm hoping for more sunshiny days in the forecast thereafter and when this rain today and tomorrow stops, we should have a better handle on things to come. Next week should give us more clues as to what is to transpire up in Vermont. I remain optimistic! CT

Texas_Aggie

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 am

once things get rolling, how fast will they typically turn?

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am

Texas_Aggie wrote:once things get rolling, how fast will they typically turn?
Teaxas Aggie it depends on the weather, sunny cool days are good, rainy days are not. This year could be an unusual one. As of 4 or 5 days ago, everything was green across the whole state, and it was looking like it was going to be at least 7 to 14 days later than normal. We've had some of the good weather this week, which may accelerate that. If the cool weather sustains, it could go from green to some good color in some places in 4 or 5 days, but who knows.

If you arrive and have a mostly green situation, look for places that get you to higher elevation, like the Gap roads, or head way north to the Northeast Kingdom (northeast of St. Johnsbury). Mixed color and green can make for interesting photos too, it doesn't have to be about peak color. And color can happen in pockets here and there, you have to get out and drive around if color hasn't popped yet.

This webcam is not encouraging currently. This is from Pittsburg NH, which is further north than the Northeast Kingdom, and as far north you can go in New Hampshire without being in Canada. As of today 9/25 it still looks pretty green to me, despite the cold snap we've had in recent days. The "old" normal peak for Pittsburg would have been "late September", but this looks like it has at least a week to go. A big change can happen in 4 or 5 days, but it's definitely green now.
https://www.lopstick.com/lopstick-webcam/

Here is a link to another place with "reports", that seems to be posting more frequently than the state of Vermont Report, albeit with less detailed information. Caveat emptor
https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.ph ... rtheast-us

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am

Here is another good resource, showing various webcams across the state of Vermont. Still lots of green on 9/25, but some hints starting to show.
Mad River Glen webcam shows it barely starting, but that's up at some elevation too. It could be worse, at least we don't have 80's in the 10 day forecast.

http://www.vermont.com/news-media/webcams/

wentworth

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:05 pm

edmcguirk wrote:
Texas_Aggie wrote:once things get rolling, how fast will they typically turn?
Teaxas Aggie it depends on the weather, sunny cool days are good, rainy days are not. This year could be an unusual one. As of 4 or 5 days ago, everything was green across the whole state, and it was looking like it was going to be at least 7 to 14 days later than normal. We've had some of the good weather this week, which may accelerate that. If the cool weather sustains, it could go from green to some good color in some places in 4 or 5 days, but who knows.

If you arrive and have a mostly green situation, look for places that get you to higher elevation, like the Gap roads, or head way north to the Northeast Kingdom (northeast of St. Johnsbury). Mixed color and green can make for interesting photos too, it doesn't have to be about peak color. And color can happen in pockets here and there, you have to get out and drive around if color hasn't popped yet.

This webcam is not encouraging currently. This is from Pittsburg NH, which is further north than the Northeast Kingdom, and as far north you can go in New Hampshire without being in Canada. As of today 9/25 it still looks pretty green to me, despite the cold snap we've had in recent days. The "old" normal peak for Pittsburg would have been "late September", but this looks like it has at least a week to go. A big change can happen in 4 or 5 days, but it's definitely green now.
https://www.lopstick.com/lopstick-webcam/

Here is a link to another place with "reports", that seems to be posting more frequently than the state of Vermont Report, albeit with less detailed information. Caveat emptor
https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.ph ... rtheast-us
The Lopstick camera is 'bleached out', its actually much prettier and much more lush than that pic suggests--They used to have a beautiful 24/7 high def video every day, but not any more

wentworth

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Speaking of WebCams, its frustrating because pea-soup fog has prevented me from seeing Killington at all last 2 days, the Killington panoramic 360 Cam

Texas_Aggie

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm

wentworth wrote:Speaking of WebCams, its frustrating because pea-soup fog has prevented me from seeing Killington at all last 2 days, the Killington panoramic 360 Cam
Yeah, I've been checking Killington a couple of times a day, hoping to see something

Texas_Aggie

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:00 pm

mmvt wrote:I will be in VT starting on Friday and will try to post some reports although posting here is always a challenge so much of what I share in terms of immediate reports will be via Facebook.
do you have a public profile that we can follow, or are your facebook posts just for your friends? no worries if your account is private, i was just curious about following your updates if they happened to be publicly available.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 am

From summer to fall and back to 80 here in northern CT today. However, the weekend is looking great up north and it will cool down again. After the cold front today with some rather large storms, it will feel like autumn again. More importantly, the trees are looking so healthy! We just need that cold snap and many more bright sunshiny days and we will be in great shape! I think many of us will be surprised when we wake up in Vermont one morning and say, "Wow, it just opened up overnight!" :D

loafer89

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Early color change here in Enfield with a few Sugar Maples changing color. Unfortunately it's mostly just to this drab orange color:
Attachments
EFF (Small).JPG

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Loafer have you been to the NW corner yet and the Salisbury twin lakes? Higher elevation, more color popping out than around here. Barkhamsted Reservoir? Fisher Pond near Under Mountain Road (route 41), Wood Creek Pond paralleling 272 south out of Norfolk usually has nice early color. I'll be back up in the NW hill towns as soon as I leave Vermont. I'm out at Barkhamsted a lot but always seem to miss the peak there!

HCohen89

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:20 am

Early signs of fall already here, I love it! My favourite season, bring it on

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 am

Although we had 84 here yesterday with tropical humidity (ugh), today is a glorious fall day with light breezes and blue skies! Tremendous feel! Blissful! This weekend should provide a nice start to our autumn season. Enjoy! :D

edmcguirk

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am

Below is the first foliage report from the state of New Hampshire posted yesterday on the Great North Woods. This should have conditions similar to the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. This cool weather finally seems to be getting things started....

"Wednesday, September 26, 2018 The foliage season is just starting to get underway in the Great North Woods region. Here and there you'll spot a random tree fully decked out in red and yellow, but for the most part the colors are just now beginning to develop. Based on our leaf peeper's reports, your best bet for a fall drive right now is heading north from Berlin up through Milan towards Errol on Route 16, where color change is at about 30-40%. Color has also started to shift along route 2 between Gorham and Jefferson, as well as on Route 3 heading north from Lancaster. The colors aren't super vibrant yet, but with chilly temperatures forecasted for nights this week, things should start to develop rapidly in this region. Percentage Changed: 30-40%" - State of New Hampshire Foliage Report

Click on the leaf symbol for each region to get reports
https://www.visitnh.gov/foliage-tracker