Fall New England Trip

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kerry29

Re: Fall New England Trip

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 pm

From_the_NEK wrote:If the NEK is still in peak (and even if it past a bit), this loop through the middle of the NEK should hit a lot of the high points.

The loop is called the "NEK Central Loop"
See this post buried in the Best of Vermont Scenic Drives, etc thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3532&p=9105&hilit=D ... oute#p9105

Here are the Google Directions without Wheeler Mtn Rd but with all optional offshoots (May Pond, Lake Willoughby South Beach, Island Pond, Burke Mtn Toll Road): https://goo.gl/maps/C54KRpQ1Ab82
This is absolutely terrific, thank you! Many of these places were already on my list, but many were unknown to me...and the specific route you've outlined, with all of the back roads, almost certainly would have gone unexplored without your assistance. I will definitely plan to drive this loop.

Not incidentally, the images accompanying the linked description are real appetite whetters.

A question, if I may. I gather that Wheeler Mountain Rd. isn't safely accessible with a passenger car (which is what I'll be driving). Do you think it's worth taking the time to hike up the road, at least as far as Wheeler Pond?

Again, many, many thanks. I really appreciate the assistance.

Kerry29

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Utah Baker wrote:Hi Kerry, yes indeed your photos are beautiful, can't wait to see what you capture on your trip. Don't mean to overwhelm you with ideas, but I mentioned to you over on the photo forum that I would look up the road that runs runs along the boarder of N,H, & Maine. Route 113 North out of of North Conway up to Rt. 2 over to Gorham is right up there with Rt 232 in Vermont. A really beautiful drive. All this talk of Owl's Head and Sugar Hill has me longing to be there, we had such a spectacular trip last year (finally hit Owl's Head and Kettle Pond spot on). So many years we have arrived the first weekend of October only to find a nasty storm has just blown thru the day before, wishing the conditions are perfect for you. Safe travels and good luck!
Thanks very much. That earlier post (and my entire account) were wiped out when the message board had to be restored to an earlier point after someone apparently tried to hack the site. Tim was able to straighten it out for me, but it took some time and the earlier posts couldn't be recovered.

And please, don't apologize for passing along too many suggestions. In my opinion, there's no such thing. :)

Rt. 113 is, I believe, the road through Evans Notch. That is definitely on my radar. I may even try to access it for the first time from my base in Maine in late September, as a detour from a trip up to Grafton Notch, but I suspect that will be a bit early for color so I'm entirely open to the notion of trying it again a week or so later, when I'll be in North Conway. And the Rt. 2 extension on the north end--to Gorham--was something I hadn't considered, so thank you for that recommendation. I could turn it into a big loop by returning to North Conway from Gorham via NH 16.

This is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to revisit this topic!

From_the_NEK

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Kerry29 wrote:A question, if I may. I gather that Wheeler Mountain Rd. isn't safely accessible with a passenger car (which is what I'll be driving). Do you think it's worth taking the time to hike up the road, at least as far as Wheeler Pond?

Again, many, many thanks. I really appreciate the assistance.
The Wheeler Mtn Rd is good from Route 5 up to the Wheeler Mtn hiking access parking area. This includes being able to access Wheeler Pond. After the hiking access the road gets a lot rougher. So you should be able to get to Wheeler Pond with no problem.

Kerry29

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:51 pm

From_the_NEK wrote:The Wheeler Mtn Rd is good from Route 5 up to the Wheeler Mtn hiking access parking area. This includes being able to access Wheeler Pond. After the hiking access the road gets a lot rougher. So you should be able to get to Wheeler Pond with no problem.
Great, that should work out just fine. Thanks very much for the information.

Kerry29

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi Carol. Thanks very much for the note and for the kind words re my photography.

I would love to join you, thanks. I was planning on spending some time poking around the Barton area, based on the recommendations of Andy and Mr. NEK (in the circuit he linked in this thread) and there's nothing quite like being able to rely on someone who knows the area as well as you obviously do.

Let me know how you want to handle the logistics and timing; I'll defer to your schedule (of course). Looking forward to it and thanks again, very much.

Re New England...my family lived in the Boston area for awhile, when I was a little kid so I have a vague recollection of what fall was like in southern New Hampshire and Vermont (we used to take a drive up there each fall). So, yeah, I'm sure it will meet, if not surpass, my expectations and I already assume that I'll want to plan to return in the future.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:30 am

Hi Kerry: Welcome to our forum! Carol is the best tour guide around and she has already planned our entire week in the NEK. So if you join us it will be a ton of fun! BTW, i'm the friend who likes to sleep in in the morning! :lol: Looking forward to meeting you if it works out and I always enjoy watching the pros shoot! So get ready to join Thelma and Louise on their Part III adventure into the wilds of Vermont. :D When we figure out who is Thelma and Louise (she hasn't decided yet) we'll let you know. In the meantime, I'm CT and she is Abby (Carol)!

(Carol said we are passing along the Canadian border and scared me a bit so I'm bringing my passport in case we get lost after dusk!)

Kerry29

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:05 am

Hi CT, and thanks for the welcome! For someone who (allegedly) likes to sleep in, you're posting very early (5:30 AM).

When I'm on a photo excursion, I'm pretty much at it, in the field, non-stop. If I'm not photographing--and that would only be the case when the light or weather conditions more broadly are completely uncooperative--I'm scouting. I don't break for meals (though I do brake for squirrels, and other wildlife); my theory has always been that I can eat before I head out, after I get back and while going from place to place. As you might imagine, this makes me a popular person with whom to photograph (ha).

To continue the Thelma & Louise metaphor, while you folks sort out your IDs, i can tell you that I have rarely been mistaken for Brad Pitt (and by "rarely" I mean "never").

One more coincidence--I plan to have my passport with me on this trip as well. During the time I'm going to be in Maine I expect to be pretty close to the border part of the time and I thought I'd give myself the option of popping up into Quebec, briefly, if I so choose.

I look forward to the possibility of meeting you in a few weeks.

Kerry29

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Sounds good, Carol. I'll wait to hear from you. Feel free to PM or e-mail me (my e-mail address can be found at my website--linked below).

Thanks again.

Kerry29

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:02 am

A question, for anyone who might be able to help:

As things presently stand, when I relocate from Maine to St. Johnsbury on Sept. 30 I will very likely to do so via the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire between Conway and Lincoln. Does anyone familiar with the Kanc have suggestions for specific places to stop (i.e. trails to check out)? I know that there are a lot of them and I'll only have part of the day on the drive in so I have to be selective this time (though I do plan/expect to revisit the Kanc later, when I'm based in North Conway).

Thanks in advance (and I accept my 50 demerits in recognition of the fact that this particular post doesn't directly deal with Vermont).

Utah Baker

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi Kerry, my husband and I did The Sabbaday Falls off the Kanc last year. Very pretty easy hike with lovely bridges and falls. I also highly recommend stopping at The Flume, absolutely gorgeous, but do it on a weekday when it's not crowded and you can take you time. The following are some photos from The Flume.
Attachments
P1010995-001 (3).jpg
Covered Bridge, The Flume
P1010982 (3).jpg
Inspiration for The Friendly Village China Bridge
DSC_0535 (2).jpg
The
The Flume

Kerry29

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Utah Baker wrote:Hi Kerry, my husband and I did The Sabbaday Falls off the Kanc last year. Very pretty easy hike with lovely bridges and falls. I also highly recommend stopping at The Flume, absolutely gorgeous, but do it on a weekday when it's not crowded and you can take you time. The following are some photos from The Flume.
The Flume is on my list and Sabbaday Falls has now been added. Thanks very much for the suggestion!