Springtime in late January and early February? Strange season so far!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Springtime in late January and early February? Strange season so far!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi everyone! Hope you all are well and had a great holiday season. It was like spring here today in CT and it felt strange for the end of January with February just around the corner! It's supposed to be 50 Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of next week. Most of the snow (what little we have received) has disappeared and underneath is fresh, VERY green grass! I know Mother Nature has us wondering what is up her sleeve for the rest of winter but alas, it is super nice out there! The sun even feels strong. :wink:

Sugaring season will be upon us very soon and hope you get to Vermont for that sweet aroma of syrup right off the evaporator! I expect to get up there for the open house weekend once again.

Be well and happy and maybe some of you out there wherever you are will pop in and say hello! :mrgreen:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Re: Springtime in late January and early February? Strange season so far!

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Well Hello! The tables have certainly turned this year, we haven't seen the grass since mid December, probably a good two feet out there now with another storm coming in tonight. Not complaining mind you, in fact I love it. (I also like water to drink and garden with in the summer!). I'm pretty sure that Old Man Winter is not yet through with either of us yet though. We did just have two delightful days of sunshine, nice to get out and walk the dog with beautiful blue skies and the sun sparkling on the snow. Enjoy the rest of the season wherever you may be, it will be interesting to see what the groundhog has to say about it, spring maybe just around the corner! :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:03 am

Hi Janice: nice to hear from you! It is 60 degrees out there 6:00 a.m. February 4th! :shock: Our local groundhogs have obviously predicted an early spring! But we know Mother Nature holds the reins, so we'll see! :lol:

From_the_NEK

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:08 pm

It has been an absurd winter up here this year. St Johnsbury has recored less than 20" of snow TOTAL for the season and the recent warm weather and rain has melted almost all of it. Looking around you would think the flowers would be ready to come out in a week or two. The sap was running this week too. :shock:
Here is a shot of Burke Mtn yeterday. You can see the natural snow trails are virtually bare and the trails with man-made snow are covered but extremely icy.

Local businesses that rely on snow are going to really hurt this year. :(

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:28 am

Winter is back! :D Deep freeze this weekend with wind chills -30 in our NW hills. I guess I spoke too soon! :lol: Since my post about springtime temps, we got two small snow storms. The snowfall this season is way below normal though and I'm ready for spring, sooner than later. The sweet smell of freshly mowed grass, ocean breezes, the pool, etc. :wink:
Our state is already tapping the trees for maple sugaring season and hopefully, I'll be up in VT for the open house weekend.

Tim: nice shot, any snow around there yet?

From_the_NEK

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 pm

ctyanky wrote:Tim: nice shot, any snow around there yet?
We had received just enough to mostly cover the grass. Then the deep freeze with -25 degree temps (-50 windchills) this past weekend. Then it all melted today with 50 degree temps with strong winds and heavy rain. All of the businesses that rely on winter snow sports tourism are REALLY hurting this year.
If anyone gets a chance to make it up this way this spring (sugaring season, or apple blossom season), your business in many small communities would be greatly appreciated.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:10 am

Hi Tim: I'll be up in Vermont for sugaring season again this year. I hope others will journey up to VT for the state-wide open house weekend for maple sugaring. It is so much fun and you can buy deeeeeelicious maple syrup and related products from the various sugaring operations. My favorite stop is the Whitingham Festival!

http://www.whitingham-maplefest.us/

This is a great stop for those who live in southern New England and want a fantastic day trip! It's only about 2 hours from northern CT. One year we visited seven sugarhouses from their open house, a long day, but worth every minute. Check out all the sugarhouses on the tour. The craft festival and luncheon is awesome! :D

http://www.whitingham-maplefest.us/sugar-houses.html

Open House Weekend is April 2nd and 3rd state wide:

http://vermontmaple.org/ai1ec_event/164 ... nce_id=455

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:15 pm

addendum:

low 60's both days this weekend, grass is green as ever, like early May, and some patches are even growing! We have no snow at all except for a small patch here and there if you search for it! Everyone is out enjoying this glorious "early" spring weekend. :D Crocuses are emerging and my friend is tapping his trees - it is really flowing! :shock:

After last weekend's polar blast, this has been a blessing to say the least...... :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Well, hello summer! Tomorrow is going to be 75 here in northern CT! The trees are pushing buds already and you can almost see a hint of green amongst the trees from a distance. The strange season continues..... but I am loving it! I just may pull out the patio furniture.....

I saw on the news tonight the apple growers are a bit concerned about their upcoming crop as the trees may bud out and then comes a cold spell. Only time will tell. :roll:

I also wonder, if anyone has an opinion, how the maple sugaring season will turn out? I hope they are still boiling for the open house weekend the first weekend in April! We may be swimming by then the way things are going! :mrgreen: