Foliage Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Foliage Report

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:15 am

Keep in mind that I'm writing this before my 3rd cup of coffee. :?
I drove up to the Island Pond area yesterday. Foliage change is just beginning. Routes 100,58, and 5a are still in the beginning stage. I took the Hinton Hill Road from Lake Willoughby over to the end at the Hudson Road. There is some early color along the road provided by the early turning stressed out trees.
I got a surprise on that road. On the left just before you come to the Cole Hill Road, there is a small State Park. There is a parking area and a short path with 2 kiosks describing the history of the area. You can see the foundation of the old farm house and the views are awesome.
The foliage around Island Pond is more advanced. The stressed out trees are brighter and the colors are more visible. Route 114 between route 105 and East Haven had some nice color next to the road. I think this very northeast corner will have the best color this weekend. By next weekend the whole area north of route 15 and east of route 100 will be nice, but not peak. We appear to be a week behind.
The best color I saw was on the Stannard Mountain Road between South Wheelock and Stannard. Lots of color next to the road. This road starts out as the South Wheelock Road, just south of the I-91 interchange in Lyndonville and ends in Greensboro Bend. It starts out paved but turns to a gravel road a few miles along. It's in great shape.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage Report

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks for the report Phil! I hope you can take me to Stannard Mtn Road tomorrow. I have six cider donuts for you from Cold Hollow so bring more coffee with you! I'm confident we will find some nice colors and have a great time! See you at 9:30 in front of my inn! :D

P.S. Can I run into the general store in Greensboro Bend just for a few minutes????? :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:54 pm

I can confirm this report. I went looking to see if there was any color to be found, and found it around the Island Pond area.
See the video here:

https://vimeo.com/140542201

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Nice video Tim! Very relaxing and great to see the change up there!

See you tomorrow! I'll be in touch. Hopefully, you, Phil and I will discover more color in the NEK! YAY! :D

Rockwall Tim

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:03 pm

I can't thank you guys enough for your foliage reporting. I arrive next Saturday with my wife and two other Texas couples. Since color is late this year, I'll be leaning heavily on your reports. I hate that the leaves are late, but hopeful that things change quickly for the better in the next 7 days. I look forward to your recommendations with a greater appreciation this year because of the situation.
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:47 am

Tim Rockwall: I'm not the expert here but IMO, those arriving next weekend and through Columbus Day Weekend will have the best of the best but - you may have to travel to different regions. I will be up for a day on Columbus Day Weekend but it is in SOVT. I am confident you and your friends will have a lot of color and most will be in Central Vermont and lower Northern Vermont. It is changing so fast here day by day. Waitsfield is looking like it "may" pop the end of this coming week and be glorious thereafter.

I'm heading up north today with Phil (PWT) and Tim our Administrator, and will report again tonight. Or at least one of them will. Try not to fret over the colors yet. We just don't want rain and wind during your time period!

You all must be very excited! It is beautiful up here and there is so much to do! Have some backup plans in mind as well. CT

Rockwall Tim

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words! We are super flexible...will be staying at White River Junction so should be in ideal position to get to wherever the "hot spots" are fairly quickly. I see where the nights will be nicely cool this week in VT and that should light the fuse!
II Cor. 4:17

jeaniflute

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi there, I have never used a blog before, and I've never been to Vermont; however, we are hoping to visit friends in southern Vermont between October 6-12, and can certainly drive to central and northern Vermont, to see the leaves. We are particularly interested in seeing the leaves at their peak. May I ask your advice as to whether this will be good time? If you would suggest a different time, we are somewhat flexible. Also, I would welcome your advice about good driving routes. Thank you!

photonslave

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Heartily appreciate what you guys are doing. It means a lot for people like me and my wife who are flying from san francisco just for fall colors next weekend. We will be staying in Burke. I hope its a good location to venture out for fall colours around.

autzig

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:49 am

Hi there, I have never used a blog before, and I've never been to Vermont; however, we are hoping to visit friends in southern Vermont between October 6-12, and can certainly drive to central and northern Vermont, to see the leaves. We are particularly interested in seeing the leaves at their peak. May I ask your advice as to whether this will be good time? If you would suggest a different time, we are somewhat flexible. Also, I would welcome your advice about good driving routes. Thank you!
Jeaniflute: If you haven't already done so, check out the "sticky" threads at the top of the messages on this forum. Many of your questions will be answered there.