Heat coming back

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Heat coming back

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Killington forecast much above normal again:

Wednesday High 80 low 57

Thursday High 80 low 56

Friday High 81 low 58

Saturday High 80 low 59

Normal temps during this period should be High 68 and low 46

wentworth

Re: Heat coming back

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:23 pm

The closest to these warm temps in this time period would be the 2005 and 2006 seasons, which were not great Falls that year--We need temps near 40 degrees to really get things going--Perhaps the North East Kingdom won't be as affected by these warm temps as Killington might be

ixl

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Sadly I see no cold are intrusions in the next two weeks on the long-range map I look at. We are just in a warm pattern.

I think it is actually the northern areas that will fare worst with this, as they will be warm during their traditional peak periods. If we can finally get some cold by late Sept / early Oct, we may have a year in which southern Vermont and even areas further south than that do well, if they get their cold around when they are supposed to.

It's been a while since we had a good color year here.

This is why I never make plans in advance. I am hoping things turn out okay for those of you who have.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Amen to this post Carol! What a positive and welcoming way to turn around unnecessary doubts that anyone may have about a season that is still quite frankly, in its developing stage and one which we have no control over whatsoever anyways. A lot can happen in a mere two weeks and only Mother Nature knows what she has up her sleeve! :P

We are coming to Vermont and will enjoy every moment we are there! I love the way you described your plans to enjoy autumn in Vermont no matter how the season unfolds! Let's move on to great ideas and ways to enjoy our awesome fall which is now right around the corner. :wink:

Kudos to you for your upbeat attitude! That's why we are such good friends! Love ya girlfriend! See you in our beloved Vermont very soon!!!!!!!!!! :D We are in for the time of our lives with all our friends, new and old! :)

deaner1971

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:57 am

Great post, Carol!

I look at it this way, if I am handed warmer weather, I am going to take what I am given and go with it.

Hiking up the shaded side of a mountain with morning temps in the 30s means I am in for a finger numbing, cheek reddening cold climb. I will be packing on layers in the morning and trying not to misplace them all in the afternoon descent.

Now I will look forward to more even days and more enjoyable hikes. Maybe I will go for some higher peaks (where there will be more color) or more arboraceous (feel free to drop that bad boy in your next round of Scrabble) valleys.

Vermont is a beautiful state in almost all conditions but, I have been there when the leaves are still mostly green and when the leaves are already on the ground. I will take a late color change over an early leaf drop any day.

And there are always trees that go early. The one brilliant red maple, in a sea of green, can still make a great shot.

I have no doubt that I will leave Vermont as in love with her as I have ever been and ready to come back soon. Nothing improves last year's foliage as much as thinking about next year's...

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Ditto, ditto, and ditto that! :lol: Can't wait I'm just so happy and thankful to be able to come one more year!

ixl

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:45 am

This is not good news. Definitely appears it may be a "make lemonade" type of year. :(

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:19 pm

ixl wrote:This is not good news. Definitely appears it may be a "make lemonade" type of year. :(
Agreed. The forecast for the next week is for more dry and warm weather. We haven't had any nighttime temperatures come close to freezing. There is some very dull color trying to emerge but it isn't looking promising.
This setup reminds me of what happened 7 or 8 years ago. Very warm and dry September with virtually no color change. The leave kind of just dried up. Then there was a frost around Oct 6th, the leave changed in a few days, then we had a decent rainstorm and the leaves all fell of. It was the worst foliage season I can remember. Hopefully, doesn't happen again :!: :shock: .

If it does, as ixl said, you have to make Lemonade. There will be isolated trees and locations that will deliver good color but grand vistas full of bright colored trees may be hard to come by.

ixl

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:38 am

Some good news today as we get a small cold shot this weekend and a possibly bigger one next weekend. They are calling for temps around 40 or even below here tomorrow night, not really cold but not bad after all these 80s.

Next weekend there's a decent chance of a brief cold incursion that could have temps in the 30s overnight throughout the state.

autzig

Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:43 pm

I had 44 degrees at my house in the Twin Cities this morning. Hopefully that cold air will make its way to Vermont. I've noticed some maples starting to show color here.

Al

Utah Baker

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:33 pm

A light frost on the grass here yesterday morning and the colors are starting to pop all over the mountains here. Hopefully that cold air if moving east, will be praying it does!
DSC_0460.jpg
DSC_0460.jpg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 14864 times
Not Vermont, but hopefully soon!

deaner1971

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:11 pm

I just got a frost warning from my Weather Channel app and it was for Manchester Center! There is hope!

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:37 am

Light frost here last night! Hopefully that gets the trees in gear. I didn't think it was gong to happen since the dew point was in the low 40's.

Utah Baker

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Warming up here again for the next several days, ugh. Hate when Mother Nature teases us so, with a brief taste of Autumn, and then she withdraws. But I know she'll return and I will welcome her back with open arms!