Weather is turning the corner: Heat wave over, rain comes and cool temps arriving in New England!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Weather is turning the corner: Heat wave over, rain comes and cool temps arriving in New England!

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:24 am

Our late summer heat has ended and we expect rain off and on through the weekend. The nights will now be in the 50's and some 40's in southern NE and maybe cooler up in the northern states.

We still have drought issues but I am optimistic that we are turning the corner! I have to admit, it was a fine summer and the sunrises and sunsets were the best yet! A perfect summer for vacationers and outdoor enthusiasts for sure.

Now let's move on to autumn and a great foliage season in our beloved Vermont! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

courtmel

Re: Weather is turning the corner: Heat wave over, rain comes and cool temps arriving in New England!

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:41 am

ctyanky

This is the best post I've read in quite a while! Bring it on, Mother Nature.
autumn leaf

wentworth

Re: Weather is turning the corner: Heat wave over, rain comes and cool temps arriving in New England!

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Thank God that heat is over--But weather channel still shows above normal temperatures thru the 24th in Killington--However, Accuweather shows cooler temps, especially the 18th 19th 23rd 24th--let's hope Accuweather is more accurate than the weather Channel--last year, Killington had 8 mornings below normal before the 24th, and it was a Fantastic Fall--THis year, the weather channel forecasts none, while Accuweather has 4--so we'll see what happens--need those cold temps to get the red going

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:13 pm

RAIN RAIN BLISSFUL RAIN! We are getting drenched in CT. This is so beneficial for our moderate drought. I don't care if it rains all weekend. The windows are all open and cool, cool air is pouring in. I can't wait to sleep without AC tonight, it is wonderful! This is great for our foliage and the trees are sucking up much needed moisture now.

High pressure into New England next week with sunny days. Don't worry if we get a few blips of warm weather, the season is trying to take hold as I see two warm days next week. I took a walk in the rain tonight and it felt great! It's all good! :wink:

wentworth

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:43 am

well, unfortunately, Accuweather has just raised their temp forecast for the whole week, Sept 17th thru the 23rd---now, instead of 4 days below normal temps by the 24th, we now have zero days forecast to be below normal--last year, of course, we had 8 days below normal, with 4 in the 30's,which was great, and so was the corresponding color--will be interesting to see how this plays out--its also been abnormally dry, as per the weather channel, but rain is forecast this weekend

ixl

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:45 am

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I just examined the long-range GFS model and it shows no real cold air intrusions through the end of the month. I think it is going to be a somewhat wonky foliage year.

Still, keep up hope. Things can change, and when the cold does arrive it may kickstart the color. We've had seasons that have gone from green to glorious in just a few days.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

wentworth

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:54 pm

As per weather.com, low temperatures still forecast to be well above normal thru Sept 27th--to check this, just go to the site, put in Killington,Vt and then hit "Monthly"