The Great Fall Get Together

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

autzig

The Great Fall Get Together

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:46 am

While autumn begins in two and a half months, it is time to start thinking about the 2015 Vermont foliage get together. For those who don’t know, we had a meet-up of SOV forum friends in 2010 and decided then that we should try to get together every five years. That time has arrived. I would love to see my old forum friends and meet those who I only know as names on the forum.

I plan to be in Vermont somewhere around September 29 and October 6 and would like to make travel arrangements soon. I would like to know who is going to be in Vermont this year, the vicinity where you will be staying and the time period you plan to be there. I want to be there when I can meet the forum members who will be in Vermont this year. Because I am retired, my travel schedule can be flexible.

I also offered to lead a Milky Way photo shoot so I will stay wherever makes the most sense to do this photo shoot. I am willing to stay in the Northeast Kingdom, central Vermont or both. I will do this photo shoot as many times as needed so everyone who wants to do it can.

Because the moon is full on September 27, the best times to photograph the Milky Way will begin on September 30 when we can shoot before moonrise.

So please, let me know about your travel plans, and, if you live in Vermont, tell me about your availability during this time.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: The Great Fall Get Together

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:00 am

Hi dear Al from Minn:

I enjoyed speaking with you on the phone last night! I arrive on Friday morning, September 25th and leave on Sunday morning, October 4th. I can't wait to see everyone and plan our meet ups throughout the great state of Vermont! Just 10 weeks away, hard to believe! :D Although I'm thoroughly enjoying this summer after last winter's wrath :shock: I am getting very excited about autumn in VT as I was not there last year for my extended annual foliage vacation.

The momentum is already building! Hope to see some new forum members and of course, my SOV pals from years past.

Al, thanks for this post! See you soon! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Not sure yet whether we will be able to come. A few things have come up,our youngest and last child to get married is doing so Aug 13th, haven't yet found a flight in the budget, and I am locked into a catering event Oct 1st, so the earliest we could leave would be the 2nd or 3rd. I am still hopeful though and will let all know asap. I have so been looking forward to this hope it works out, if not I may have to ship cookies to Al's location! :cry:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:05 am

I'm totally getting excited now! Janice, I hope you can make it! We are also in the process of planning SOV meetups. One thought is a caravan ride through the four gaps, courtesy idea of bm our resident VTer and moderator. Let the fun begin! :)

autzig

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Al- can you describe optimal locations for the Milky Way photo shoot? Obviously we want to be far away from "city light" but are there other things that we should consider? Ponds? Mountains? Would shooting from the top of one of the gap roads be a good idea?
There are some important considerations. First, we will want a location where we have an unobstructed view of the southern sky as the Milky Way will be located in the sky, a little west of south. The next consideration is that we want a location that would make an interesting photo regardless of the night sky. A small pond lined with trees in peak color would be nice. Mountains beyond that would be great so long as they are not so close as to obstruct a lot of the sky but high enough to block the light pollution from places beyond.

If it faced south, Job's Pond strikes me as the kind of location that would be perfect. So a place similar to that would be great. If the water is flat, we can get reflections of the stars and the Milky Way. One of the gap roads could be good. It just depends on whether there is an interesting foreground available.

For a little inspiration, you can see some of my night photos at: http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Portfolio/After-Dark/ or http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Portfolio/New/.

You can also see a slide show of my night photos, including a timelapse video here: http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Night-Sky

I will be posting info about the timing of my trip to Vermont and potential dates and general locations for a night photo outing.

Al

autzig

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:15 pm

I will leave Minneapolis mid-morning on September 29. I fly into Hartford and hope to arrive at my inn in Waitsfield by early evening. I will stay there from Tuesday to Friday. I will spend the weekend in Barton with Carol and plan to stay in Killington on the night of October 4. My flight for home leaves from Hartford at 2:30 PM on October 5.

For those interested in a night photo shoot, we can do it on Wednesday and/or Thursday night around Waitsfield, Friday and/or Saturday around Barton and Sunday around Killington. Hopefully the skies will be clear on most of those nights.

Anyone is welcome for any or all of the night shoots.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Just thinking..........Stannard Mountain Road in Wheelock presented unmatched foliage brilliance in 2012 and maybe last year, I would love for Al to experience this if the conditions are right! Maybe we could find a way to make a meet up there as we did 3 years ago with the SOV gang with Tim (website owner), Phil, bm and myself.

Carol, are you close enough to check it out with the camera club that last weekend in September? I think it was peaking the end of September into the first few days of October. I know Charles (ixl) has some great shots on his 2012 NEK link. As you can see in the link below, in 2012 it was the foliasm of the season! :lol: :P

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2990

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks Carol! I'm getting so excited for this trip, I even brought my two pieces of luggage out! Can't wait to pack clothes for cool weather! :lol: It's 90 out there right now and it's after 9:00 p.m. Wretched hot week indeed! :x

I think I have enough planned already to keep us all busy every day! 8)

deaner1971

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:23 am

I am so bummed. My travel (still up in the air as to VT or Gettysburg) won't be any earlier than October 7th.

Unfortunately, working in investments, quarter end (Sept. 30) is crunch time so, I cannot really get away until business day four which is October 6th.

I shall enjoy the get together, vicariously, via your photos and stories and I will have to hope I have finally moved on to another aspect of the business by the next one in five years.

Hope you all have great weather, great foliage and a great time!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:07 am

Dean: sorry you won't be joining us. I was looking forward to finally meeting you! If you are up around Columbus Day weekend, I may be up in SE Vermont at a horse show or craft fair. Keep me posted and maybe we can meet up somewhere! You never know, maybe your plans will change! 8)

deaner1971

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Thank you both!

I am still trying to determine what I want to do.

Stratton has basic rooms for a very low price for the period I would be going so, I am really being pulled toward a return trip, even if I will miss the big get-together.

I shall to re-visit a certain Vermont photography e-book and see if I can get inspired.

Let me pose it to the group: how far north will I still be able to range at that time (week prior to Columbus Day)? I know it is just an estimate but, I would like to hit some areas to which I have never been, were I to come to VT and I want to see if that is a realistic hope.

CT, I will absolutely let you know if I decide to come up.

Thank you, again!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Dean: I think you would be ok staying in south central VT and south during that time period. Two years ago Waitsfield peaked at that time (and I had just left the area) and the year before that, it was past peak. You may just have to wait and see what the season brings and drive around to catch the color. Let me know if you go up Columbus Day Weekend and I'll drive up to Brattleboro for the day and drive around with you while you photograph. Unless I have a horse show that weekend somewhere...........keep us posted!

Utah Baker

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Do we have an intinerary of events yet? Just booked our flights and rental car, we will arrive in Manchester, NH, the night of Oct 3. Still working on where we'll stay. Wondering if we can meet up with anyone Sun. the 4th. Hoping we can still meet some of you, so excited to be able to come this year!!! :D

deaner1971

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:14 pm

CT,

Thank you and will do.

I will, most likely, stay in my usual stomping grounds in Stratton/Manchester and venture to whatever point on the compass offers me the best options given the capriciousness of Mother Nature's calendar.

Assuming that Manchester has color, I am definitely planning on visiting Equinox Mountain, the quarry in Dorset and Emerald Lake. As previously mentioned, Stratton Pond and the fire tower, as well as Kelly Stand Road are also in my plans. Add in stops at the Arlington, Scott and Sunderland cover bridges plus the Old First Church and battle monument in Bennington and that, folks, is a three-day SoVT visit (at least).

Looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Old ... 480576!3e0

A trip to Newfane is also something I would like to do but, I need to get some presents for the kids and pick-up a year's supply of maple syrup.

In any event, if I can make it happen and any part of this whirling dervish of a vacation sounds of interest, let's meet up!

autzig

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Utah Baker wrote:Do we have an intinerary of events yet? Just booked our flights and rental car, we will arrive in Manchester, NH, the night of Oct 3. Still working on where we'll stay. Wondering if we can meet up with anyone Sun. the 4th. Hoping we can still meet some of you, so excited to be able to come this year!!! :D
Janice, I'm happy you will be coming to Vermont this year. I am heading home on Oct. 5. I have reservations in Killington on Oct. 4. I will be spending Saturday night with Carol in Barton. I'm planning a night time photo shoot with Margy and whoever wants to join us on Sunday night in Killington.

Al