Where to go

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ivan

Where to go

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:19 am

Hi,

I would like visit VT the weekend of Oct 2nd. We haven't made and room reservations because we don't know where would be a good place to go.

We're hoping for a location that has access to bodies of water such as small lakes, shallow river beds, and waterfalls. We're not apposed to doing a bit of hiking to get to these locations.

There are so many places that I've read about on the net. I know VT may not be the biggest state in the union but it sure has a lot to see and we only have three days this year.

We went up last year for the first time but we came too early in the season. And, we spent most of our time in the car searching without any clear direction. This year we want to be more organized.

Thank you in advance for your help.

pwt54

Re: Where to go

Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:48 pm

Foliage should be peak near the route US 2 corridor. You may want to try the Stowe area for lodging. It has a lot of lodging and will be a good place to work from. There are 2 waterfalls there. Check the waterfalls post in this forum for directions. I would recommend the Groton State Forest for small lakes with trails around them and take the road to the Owl's Head parking lot and hike the last 2/10 of a mile to the top. Head south on route 100 to Granville and check out that Moss Glen Falls. Take route 125 east from route 100 in Hancock for Texas Fallss. Nice trails there also. You may want to try the Missisquoi National Refuge off route 78 west of Swanton. Check in at the ranger station for directions for their trails. Should be a lot of migratory birds there and some good color. A place I will be visiting again is the Dead Creek Wildlife Area on route 17 in Addison between route 22A and New York State. The snow geese will be down there. You pick a great time to visit.

ivan

Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:42 pm

Thank you. You sure know the area.

I'll have to file a report when I get back.

- Ivan

Kai

Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:52 pm

pwt54,
AS if VT foliage was not good enough, now you are telling me that you also got birds there. I am also a bird photgrapher. I am completely pumped.

I made hotel reservation for 10/09 to 10/11. What will be the best places for migration birds (not Canadian geese though. Snow geese are good), water falls, lakes, mountain views, etc.

pwt54

Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:32 am

Absolutely do Dead Creek. I do it every year. It's quite a show. Also, the Missisquoi National Refuge has a trail that starts behind their headquarters on route 78 west of Swanton Village. There should be all kinds of birds there. Check the " Big Falls and Bingham Falls" post for waterfalls. There is another Moss Glen Falls on route 100 in Granville Gulf and Texas Falls on route 125 about 3 miles west of Hancock village. There is the Falls of Lana off route 53 in Salisbury, Vt.