Best Routes for a short 2 day stay CT to Stowe

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

Best Routes for a short 2 day stay CT to Stowe

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Hello to my favorite forum and peeps! This is it.. :D :D :D We are departing in the AM from CT and heading up to Stowe by way of the Rochester Cafe. I sure hope they have their delish Corn Chowder cooking! Since this is a short stay what would you knowledgeable peeps suggest to get the best bang. We are new to the Stowe area and haven't a clue! I know I will hear something...Abbs, Carol, PWT, anyone and everyone. THIS IS OUR TIME...What reasonably priced restaurants would you suggest in the Stowe area. The Green Mountain Inn's rates are killing us compared to what we are used to paying at delightful Mendon Mountainview Resort in Killington. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Best Routes for a short 2 day stay CT to Stowe

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Courtmel, my other Connecticut foliage fanatic! Take the notch ride up 108 and you will be lovin' every minute of it! In Jeffersonville, there is a nice place to eat, inexpensive, that I took Phil to for lunch. It was like a deli/café with wholesome food. I would suggest taking Pleasant Valley Road for a nice view of Mt. Mansfield. A lot of us have taken photos there. Take route 15 west to Cambridge. You can get PV Road there and then take the loop back thru Upper Pleasant Valley Road.

Second, take route 15 east to Hyde Park. The Lamoille River is wonderful!!!! Andy turned me on to Hogback Road once and that was super.

Thirdly, go to Belvidere Pond thru Waterville on route 109!!!! The mountains besides Belvidere Pond are sure to be gorgeous. Oh how I hope you get there! I left my heart in Belvidere Pond for what reason, who knows. I was sure I saw a moose there coming out from the edge of the backside of the pond. I kept zooming in on my photo trying to convince Phil it was a moose and he said it was a log. The next time I went with dear Phil, I heard a loon for the first time in my life. It was so surreal and I was in foliage heaven at the time. Please get there!

I know your time is short but hopefully you can get to these 3 places. Photography heaven! Let me know! Enjoy!!!!!! :D

courtmel

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

ctyanky-Your suggestions sound perfect and looks like a plan. Definitely going to take your advice and see these promising routes. I just can't wait... Thank you for responding so quickly. No forum compares to Scenes of Vermont!
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:47 pm

http://158main.com/

I think this is the restaurant in Jeffersonville I took Phil to.

Also, stop at Boyden Valley Winery, Cambridge. The foliage display in front is gorgeous! I bought A LOT of wine. Cowtipper white is my favorite, and actually, I'm craving it right now. :roll: Phil had to help me carry out the bags! Don't worry, some were gifts! :lol:

http://www.boydenvalley.com/

njroadie

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:05 pm

We are all about the food on our trips to Stowe. 158 Main in Jeffersonville is excellent. The Mix, also in Jeffersonville, is excellent for breakfast. The Malt Shoppe in Stowe is a good burger place. Piecasso serves good pizza and Italian food on the Mountain Rd. IC Scoops on Main Street in Stowe has fantastic ice cream and the ever popular Maple Creemee.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Roadie! Yes the Malt Shoppe is great! Been there two times - it was fun but realllly crowded!